Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Volunteers

Volunteers

I am on a journey that encompasses helping people discover the awesome blessing or impact they can have on their own lives and others when they choose to step up and do something purposeful. Over the last 4 years I have seen over 1000 individuals participate in some type of community service work. I know that there is both a good side and a bad side to volunteers. I want to reflect on the edge side of doing work in the hood with outsiders who don't understand life on the other side of the tracks.

I am presently thrilled to have college students involved with us from ASU and GCU. It is interesting to see international students get involved along with some of my 'White' friends. As I am sitting blogging at my Starbucks the manager again comes over and asks for help with doing a Christmas event with Wells Fargo. We end up talking about the best practices of making this happen.

I know that my wife struggles with the wild side of working with teens and knowing how to best help them step up and help themselves. Yes, there is drama at times both with kids and adults. Yet, even in my past life in the suburbs it wasn't much different. Everyone wants it done their way in the their time frame. It is interesting to see the chemistry of different volunteers getting involved as a team and also with our group.

As I start the getting ready phase of a service day for GCU it is becoming easier to get together the supplies for painting and doing normal neighborhood work. I am excited to see how this will impact both our grandmas, our teens and our neighborhood on Saturday. Even as I e-mail my CAO friend, Chris, knowing that it is last minute that he will still respond and help if able. Much as e-mailing a councilman's staff brings a response that is so cool to see the network that is making a difference.

The real test is whether I can get both my community and those who are part of my network be willing to financially support the work. I have to be honest that I'm a little afraid of being taken off life support from the Network. It has been so great to not have to worry about fund raising in a broader context. It is great to have a few friends who are willing to step up and help when funds are lacking. I think the great news is that I am learning to live on less and being more responsible with funds. It is easy to tell someone else to give up their cable or phone and then choose to not do that myself.

The journey continues as I see lives slowly turned around through doing simple things, i.e. eating together, helping each other, looking outward to see the real needs of our community and asking for others to get involved to make a difference in our marginalized neighborhoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment