Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bad News

I know that we are supposed to be people of hope and optimism in any circumstance. Yet, as I got to know these girls, who all shared the same mom but different dads, that things were never good. It was great that all of them were always dressed nicely and were clean and pretty. Yet, what was always missing was the mom. She was working, out or who knows most of the times. It is always easy to get down on a kid for acting a certain away. As I got to know these sisters they were and are willing to help in any of our mercy projects. They are also eager to be part of the group, yet their grand parents or dads were slow to let them get involved.

I can remember hearing a lot about their mom from others that typically wasn’t very good. I do live in a drug neighborhood where many make their livelihood off of selling various substances and themselves. This mom always seemed to have great looking clothes and the means to keep her kids all dressed nicely. I know that a few of the other moms were fearful of being around her because of her substance problems.

These kids come in cycles depending upon where they live and the openness of their guardians. So I was shocked last night when one of the teens who is living with me said she had just talked to Alexis who said that this one mom had just been killed in a horrible truck crash where a large semi-truck and her car smashed into each other. The mom and a friend were killed instantly at the site.

I know it is so easy to talk about reaping the consequences of poor choices and how horrible tragedy so often happens directly as a result of doing ‘dumb’ things. Yes there is truth in all of this yet these sisters went to bed last night knowing they would never see their mom again. Each of these sisters have always struggled with who really loves them and will care for them today and tomorrow.

All I can do is to confess to how easy it was and is to judge someone like this mom as a loser who deserves to have bad things happen to her. Yet, am I any different ultimately? No one really deserves to die this way. Yes, we all are sinners that are totally lost, yet, God’s mercy and grace help us step up and be different to show the world that Jesus is real and genuine. Life goes on after tragedies and that’s the problem. I know that these sisters will feel an emptiness on the inside most likely forever.

I ache as I approach the 4th anniversary of my mom’s death in a few weeks. I still mourn and grieve with my mom being gone. She died in much pain after fighting cancer for a decade. I don’t think I will ever get over the pain and the fact that I wasn’t there with her when she died. I am thankful that my dad was there with her.

I am thankful that God has placed us in South Phoenix. I know that bad things will happen and am thankful that God’s grace and mercy are real and do make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment