Friday, October 7, 2011

Change is Good?

I am truly enjoying the weather change over the last week or so. I have to admit that I was getting push to the edge with the triple digit temps over the summer. September and August were record months. The average highs were in the 105 plus. I know that our short trip to San Diego for a few days was a welcome relief of the heat. So coming back home to temps that really didn’t change a lot definitely put a damper on my high energy.

I know the last couple of mornings when we walk the dogs in the utter darkness it has been chilly. So I ‘m enjoying putting on a sweatshirt or long sleeve top. The point is that variety and change can be a way of appreciating the normal flow of life. Not everyone is going to be a superstar and receive worldwide attention. I know that death and change aren’t easy for anyone.

I will be the first to admit that the passion of Steve Jobs has taken front row in all newspapers, internet news sources and the front page of Apple’s website. Yes, I confess that I have become a part of the cultic movement of the apple with a bit out of it. I did enjoy reading more of the story and history behind Jobs and the creation of a brand that has changed the landscape of most countries. I can’t fathom that the new Apple store in China had over 100,000 visitors the first weekend not month.

I want to reflect upon isn’t the greatness or uniqueness of Steve Jobs but how there are other people out there that don’t receive the attention or notoriety. There was another leader that also died on Wednesday. He was 89 and had left his mark on our country next to Martin Luther King as a civil rights leader who put his life on the line for his family, church and country. What is sad is that few will miss this nameless individual, (Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth) who put his life on the line continuously to stop the racism that exists in our country and church.

We just moved out of our home for five years. Yes, it was sad having to short sell our home, which we loved and had put lots of TLC in making it a real home for our family and extending New City family. I know having done most of the packing and moving that it was a lot of work. I am thankful to have the new home we have just moved to and being a little closer to our work and closer to South Mountain. Yet, in another sense we didn’t move too far from our other house. Everything we do hasn’t changed because of this. We still have lots of boxes and work to accomplish to really move totally.

I know that the media went wild on Apple when they did their last event and presented the iPhone 4s not iPhone 5. I think it is interesting how a name in this context meant so much but reality it is in the actual product that determines whether the last year or so has been worth the wait. Time will tell when the phone is released. Yes, I will want to get the newer phone and I will sell my old phone so it won’t cost anything. Again, change is sometimes welcomed other times it is questioned.

I was recently at a birthday celebration for a good friend who turned 80. I had some great conversations with his extended family. I know that the dad of his granddaughter was stressing because his daughter away at college had gone off the deep end with tattoos, piercings and just normal rebellion for a young adult. As we talked I sensed that he was really upset with the church and the changes that obviously had taken place and it seemed as if some of the blame for his daughter’s present behavior was the church’s fault. I saw a lot of anger and frustration, which I totally understand with having gone down this path with my own kids. All young adults want to be independent, on their own and away from their parents. I am slower to overact to my own kids who are 20 and 30 something’s.

Yes, I’m getting older and I will have to admit at some point that I am not jazzed with rapid change. Yes I hang out with young people and old people. I know that my father in-law has been quick to label me as being impulsive and too spontaneous, yet as I have watched his life unfold at 85 he has become more like me in his inability to be totally still for too long.

The great news is that there is one who doesn’t change, as a person and that is Jesus Christ who truly is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment