Friday, October 28, 2011

Decisions

I know that it isn’t always easy to make choices or decisions that impact those around you. I have a painting project coming up and I need to select another house. We already are doing Pastor Pablo who truly is a worthy recipient of getting his house painted. I know that in the past we have painted a few houses where the friends of the family sat and watched as we painted. The tension that arises is the purpose of doing the house? I believe it is to bring the gospel in a hands on way that intersects the life of both those who are doers and those who are couch potatoes that don’t deserve help.

The reality for everyone, including myself, is that I don’t deserve God’s love and care, yet he gives it to me everyday. I know that the work ethic thing isn’t a common part of everyone’s DNA. I know that our teens we have living with us may think that we are mean or just want everyone to sweat and work like the rest of us, yet the real issue is learning to stand up for yourself and not assume that someone else will always foot the bill or clean up your mess.

I have had over 10 people respond to the house painting applications we passed out. I know that all have great needs that have applied and some are older and not capable and others are capable but still need assistance. So how do I choose? Do I flip a coin in the air; go with the oldest that will get the hearts of those helping? I think I will pray and go back to the ones who contacted me first.

I know that it isn’t always easy to know who to help or not help. Yesterday, I had a couple of competing individuals who wanted helped. I had already committed to taking Molly to get her ID so we can go after the fraudulent individual who stole $6000 out of her account. There was also a young guy, Andrew that wanted to go to his teacher’s funeral. I had spaced and thought it was next week. I was taken back with a text about 30 minutes before we had to leave. I quickly texted back and offered to drop off but couldn’t pick up because of needing to take my dad out. He had been traumatized by being moved to a different room for a couple of days.

I ended up pursuing what was already happening and texted back to Andrew that I couldn’t help because of not getting a response. So I can’t be in two places at once. I had already gotten someone to help with taking Molly to the MVD to get her ID. I didn’t have time at the last minute to get help from someone to play taxi. So it broke my heart to not take Andrew because I wanted to be with him. Yet the more important priority was my dad – Grandpa. So we ended up doing his favorite – Chinese Buffett.

Each day we are faced with decisions that do impact our lives and those around us. I know that by saying yes to someone or something that I will be saying no to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment