Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Friend - Art

I have been told as a kid growing up and now as an older adult that you will be fortunate if at the prime of your life if you have as many real friends as you have fingers and toes. The true test of a friend isn’t whether they ‘hang’ with you when things are going great but when the proverbial limb breaks from underneath you. This is the person that looks after you and finds you when you are hiding and hurting. I have had lots of friends over the years with doing church planting and working with both youth and adults but few that would truly be there when I crashed and burned.

I can remember first meeting Art and Sally over 10 years ago when their daughter and her family invited them to our church. It wasn’t too long before Art and Sally were at the house and not slowly but quickly diving into helping the church in a variety of ways. Art was quick to jump on board and be involved. It was through his coming to a Tuesday lunch Bible study that he began his journey of becoming a student of the Bible. It has been exciting to watch him become a Bible teacher as he has sat and learned from many at the Tuesday lunch group.

It wasn’t until I left this church and transitioned into living in the ‘hood’ that Art’s role and place in my life changed dramatically. We moved to South Phoenix to be part of doing community development church or as I like to say mercy church. I will never forget Art’s willingness to help as we joined Neighborhood Ministry to oversee a cooking class for Jr. Highers. This was a rather crazy place especially for someone like Art.

He brought his granddaughter and was very quick to jump in whether he really knew how to cook or not. I will never forget how a few of the kids got the nerve to ask him how old he happened to be. The first guess was with a younger girl, probably a 3rd grader, that said I think he is 140 years old. Then another jumped in and said that he must be more like 90 years old. Finally someone guessed something like 74 and was right on target.

Art would always come with a smile and willingness to listen and learn how to be with the kids. He was always quick to see how everyone was doing and listen to any issues or concerns. We did this for a year and then transitioned to startng a tutoring program in our neighborhood in South Phoenix. He was part of birthing a new program with no students and really no tutors.

It was exciting to see him and Laura come every week and slowly fall in love with the kids. It was obvious that Art faired better with younger kids. He at first tried helping Mia who had difficulty sitting for more than minutes. He persevered and got her to be still for around 10 minutes. Eventually Art connected with Andrew and Derek. This has begun what I believe is a lifetime friendship. We are now in our 4th season of tutoring and Art and Laura are still key volunteers still loving and helping their kids.

Art has also been part of our painting of low-income families’ homes over the last 4 years. He has brought his grandkids to learn the blessings of volunteering and helping. He has been part of the Tuesday Lunch Group’s painting projects. I think they have now painted 8 homes over the last 4 years.

I feel privileged to know Art and Sally and see how retirement for them doesn’t mean dropping out and playing all of the time. Yes, Art and Sally love to travel and be with their extended family. Yet, each week both of them are quick to give of their time, talent and treasures to their church, family and friends. I am thrilled to have been part of Art’s 80th birthday party, whether it was a surprise or not! He is a true friend who I love to bug and see his great smile and walking shorts. My greatest compliment would be I hope I can live to be 80 and be able to take my grandkids to do mercy work in the ‘hood’.

No comments:

Post a Comment