Saturday, October 1, 2011

Normal Stuff is Good

I know that too often we really believe that life is supposed to be a constant high. We have watched T.V. too many movies on Netflix or clips on YouTube. We have by choice not 1 but 4 dogs that we love dearly. I know that at one point even my dad, he is 81, made the complaint that I loved my dogs more than him. I have to admit that I spend more time with my dogs, i.e. walking every day, feeding, playing and watching that it would be easy for him to feel that.

Along with the fun of having pets come the responsibility of having to shop for food and clean up the mess in the backyard. I am fortunate to have a wife who loves to clean up the mess in the backyard. I also love to clean, fix up and make beautiful our home and yard. I love my fish little pond and enjoying watching my handful of goldfish and koi start to grow.

I know that I am an ‘event’ junkie that loves to be doing something that sees results and impact lives. I also am learning to be someone that values being still, listening, reading and thinking. I know that it is easy to allow things to crowd out this type of life focus. Yet, the imperative in the Bible in the Psalms to BE STILL and KNOW THAT I’M GOD is not an option.

Yes, so at times life can be rather routine and that is good. I can’t always live in the fast line and have a painting blitz every weekend or a BBQ at the house with 50-70 people over. It is also fantastic to have an empty house, on occasion and just lie on the couch and actually do zero!

So today is one of those days where we got up early walked the dogs, no excitement on the trail such as coyotes or a pack of wild dogs or crazy types lurking around. I also watered the plants, cooked a great breakfast, got ready and left to do normal errands. As I opened the garage door there was one of my teens lost and not knowing where to go? I helped him find the park where he had step practice. I also had to get a title for one of our old cars notarized, got coffee and am sitting writing this blog. I next have to go check out a couple of houses for painting, pick up some supplies from last week. I also have to go to the apple store for a vga connector for my iMac to make it to the TV.

Tonight will be fun as we go out to Cibo’s a great urban pizza place downtown. It will be a normal day. Anne will have found fancy shoes for our daughter’s wedding. She will have gotten her haircut and we will go to bed with a sense that it was a normal Saturday. It was a good week with the exception of one of our teens having her mom killed in a car crash.

Normal is good and I am not going to complain about average in a wacked out world that is always on the extreme side. Yes, I like sitting at my Starbucks writing and listening to others chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment