Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Consequences!

As a kid growing up I was told that sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt you. I know that this is a myth that continues to be promoted. As I was driving one of my teens home from church she mentioned how one of our friends, that was new at her school, was being bullied by some gals at her High School. There is a new movie that is being shown in a few larger markets that targets this topic of bullying. There has been much media exposure to this topic sense the ongoing impact of bullying on High School and College Campuses.

I know that as a kid being raised in a military home that the topic of consequences for my choices was a common conversation. Obviously, if I applied myself and did well there were positive things that happened. I also understood that if I lied, stole or did something that I knew was wrong that eventually justice would happen. Obviously I didn’t want to be on the ‘wrong’ side of justice. I was raised in a time, different from today, where a belt or paddle were used in school to curb behavior issues.

The world is a stage where we unfortunately hear more about the tragedies than the sacrifices of so many that do make a difference in our lives. I know that it is overwhelmingly heart wrenching to hear about yet another shooting where many have been killed. It is difficult to digest after we are still fighting a battle over whether a young teen’s death was motivated by vigilantism, racism or an act of self-defense. I think most of us really don’t believe that our cyber-bullying really matters. Yet, a celebrity made an unfortunate choice to tweet out the supposed address of the individual involved in this shooting in Florida. The consequence of this poor choice is that an older couple, not involved with the incident, have had threats made on their lives and have had to move. The person who caused this has been forced to pay up.

Yes, choices do come with consequences! I know that living and working in a multi-racial community brings this to the forefront everyday. As I am having lunch with a couple of friends who work in the high tech world and have benefited from their educational and family background it is easy for us, as white males, to talk about the ills of either a fatherless neighborhood or rampant unemployment that is a by product of the housing industry’s death. It is too easy for me especially to blame someone for something they had little if anything to do with. Most of my teens are growing up in homes without dads, have little positive role models and next to nothing when it comes to a reason to stay in school and pursue college.

It’s true that if I choose to carry a gun there is a good possibility that it will go off and I will either shoot someone or be shot by someone with my gun. Much like when I post on Facebook or tweet there is a good possibility someone is going to be hurt and that might be exhibited in a violent action. (The suicide of college students or high school students because of FB posts is still difficult to understand but it happens.) The point is that I have to be aware that all of my choices and actions in life do count. I haven’t become a PS3 or Xbox fanatic but most 20-30 something males do live or die for the latest grand theft auto or…… Did the ease of killing on a large screen T.V. make it easier for someone to shoot someone else? You have to wonder at times?

I know that one of the ongoing issues I face daily is how a person’s attitude impacts their lives and the lives of those around them. I know that everyone wants attention, to be noticed and loved. This has nothing to do with age, economics or race. This is just normal life! I am always shocked, I shouldn’t be, when one of my little kids says something like, “Hey you fat and ugly!” to one of our larger teen guys. Is he saying this to pick a fight? Obviously not but it isn’t the best way to get attention or build a friendship, yet this little guy continues to do this. It would seem that he has been trained to act this way from birth.

I was very fortunate to have had a mom and dad that raised me to have a respect for life and an openness to see people as being people regardless of where they lived, how they dressed or what type of car they drove. Yet, both of them grew up in families that were racist and talked about the neighborhood changing or going down hill. My dad lived out a totally different attitude towards different people groups as I grew up. It isn’t easy to understand why some people make certain choices, which end up with a great life, amazing family and a legacy that will impact many and someone else leaves a trail of brokenness.

The great news in this story is that there is one who has come to deal with the brokenness of life and isn’t afraid of the real truth that most want to pretend doesn’t exist. As Easter fastly approaches us it is a time to remember that Jesus Christ is the one who was broken on our behalf so we might experience God’s reconciling peace. I know that I am in daily need of this peace that surpasses all understanding. So please think about what you say, how you say it and the circumstances surrounding those who cross your path each day. Please seek to be a resource and help and if you are to be a critic may it be in a constructive fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment