Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ir - aka Snoop Dog


I have a group of little guys that are like a herd of animals at times. They are chasing each other around, fighting over the drink I have in the van or hoping that the flaming hot Cheetos bag isn’t totally empty. Last night as I was picking up kids for our tutoring I go through the painting neighborhood and get my Pee Pee and his brother, Peanut, cousin Almond and then Irwin. As everyone comes literally flying to the van and make their way into the front I notice that Irwin stopped. I approach my little friend who looks like a 3-foot version of Snoop Dog and ask why he doesn’t want to come. His response was more of a blank stare.

I am told that I do have the power of persuasion so I do my best to bribe and get Ir’s attention. I think I’ve lost him when I see him jumping over bodies to get into the van and sit in the front seat. As we are driving to our tutoring center I see tears and a long face on my little man. Another older teen quickly rebukes the other little guys that have been picking on him. I usually view Ir as being the gangsta type that wouldn’t be bothered by anything. Yet, I can tell something is happening.

We pull up and make the mad dash into the community center. I have all of the kids and teens go into one room to start off our session. We are finishing off the school year and I have to give an overview of the summer and get the teens to write out a couple of things. I have the little guys draw me a picture of their favorite activity in the summer. I have spoiled to have a couple of older men that are incredible with my group of little African American Kids.

Lou, an engineer, has become somewhat partial to Ir and quickly corrals him. The kids end up being focused and sit with their tutors in groups working on reading, math or playing educational games like Monopoly. As the evening quickly comes to a close I collect all of the pictures and there is Ir’s, which shows him and the guys at our favorite swimming spot, Pecos Pool, jumping into the water. What seemed like a disgruntled little Snoop Dog now turns into my Ir that is now bouncing all over the place with a smile on his face.

What is amazing about Ir is that he loves to read and learn. What stands out is that he is the one who is able to do at grade level work or above. Most of the other little guys struggle to write their name, identify letters and forget it if they got lost and had to tell someone their address or phone number. God has given an affinity for my little guys. I couldn’t go a week without seeing my Pee Pee, Irwin, Peanut, Dahlin, Damori, Bookie or Almon. They are like a pack of little rats that love following each other. Sure they get into fights on occasion. They are capable of saying some foul things once in while but overall they are learning about God through the example of some older guys that have learned to channel their high-octane energy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment