Thursday, April 12, 2012

Intimidation

I know that some times I can be perceived as someone that likes to intimidate others and put people in their places. I know that at times Jesus put the religious ruling class in their place by seeking to afflict the comfortable or those who think they know it all. One of the joys of working in an urban context is seeing that everyone regardless of age, background or race has something to contribute. I can actually learn from a grandma and I can also help a teen figure out life as they teach me how to laugh, smile and not take life too seriously.

Over the last couple of week I have been in situations where a few in positions of authority use their power to intimidate. I know that with most of us having a red light flash behind us as we are driving is enough to cause a heart attack. As I have been trying to help a few that are in awkward situations it makes me mad when someone takes advantage of their position to put another down and make them afraid.

I know I say often that it isn’t a sin to be either rich or poor it is what you choose to do with your position in life that is important. The challenge is that because of my station in life I have certain advantages over people with less that become obvious and seem unfair. I had a friend get pulled over because of driving an older vehicle. There wasn’t anything wrong with his vehicle but the officer decided to check him out. He couldn’t find his registration or proof of insurance. (He is like most guys that are rather sloppy.) So he gets a citation. If he had been driving my truck, which is new, this wouldn’t have happened. I could also have been in the same situation where my registration is in the glove box but because of teens always rifling through it I could be in trouble. The result was an unfortunate situation for my friend.

I’ve also had some of my Hispanic moms be pulled over because they have ancient cars. They are scared because they don’t speak any English. Some of them have all of the proper documents but panic because of their perceptions. A few of those pulling them over then take advantage of the situation to intimidate them. Please don’t get me wrong the majority of my Police friends go out of their way to help and even put their lives and jobs on the line to help in this type of situation. It is with some others in our county that cause nightmares and much tension between ethnic groups.

My hope, which I know is a dream, is that we would have a heart for the orphan, widow or underdog. That we would choose to be champions for those who can’t stand on their own. I’m not saying that we need to rescue those who have chosen a path that is totally self-focused. Yet, Jesus has given too many parables that seem to show God’s heart for the underdog but also for the one that totally crashes and burns. I see the key is that we acknowledge our mess and ask for help as we have come to the end of our rope.

I have a few friends that are like almost 7 feet tall. It isn’t easy for these guys not to intimidate anyone just by being around. So the lesson that I am learning is that God does have a purpose for making us the way we are and placing us in our specific neighborhood, job or school. The opportunity for all of us is to purposely choose to use our circumstances to be agents of grace and change. I’m not one to promote the status quo or complacency. Jesus has come to turn our lives upside down in order for us to do the ordinary in an extra-ordinary fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment