Monday, April 16, 2012

Rain or Shine!

I’m sitting at my Starbucks truly hoping that one of my teens will call and say he is ready to get picked up to start his first day at a new school. I struggle with knowing the fine line between being an encourager and also someone who shows the ‘rod’ of discipline. I had taken a couple hours of my time ton Friday o drive this youth and his mom to a new school that works with trouble teens. As we walked into this school I could sense that it was designed from the ground floor up for teens that are torn up on the inside.

We arrived a ½ hour late because my teen had messed up with the time and location of where we were going. I had no idea that we were meeting with a team that works with the student. I felt embarrassed as we walk into this conference room with a social worker, homeroom teacher and a teacher from his old school. As I sit and listen I discover that my teen has been lying a bunch about what was going to happen.

As I sit here writing this blog, my hope or expectation was that I would get a call from him and that I would be driving him to his first day. I don’t cherish that fact that I will soon call the Social Worker and tell her he’s a no show. This is frustrating and I want to scream and if he were younger he would get a hard swat with either a belt or a spoon to get his attention. I don’t like to watch someone throw his or her life away.

Saturday we painted Pastor Overstreet’s church on a gloomy Saturday morning with a significant chance of rain. As I picked up a group of my teen helpers early, like 5:50 AM I was excited but scared about having a large group from Shepherd group come out to help with the possibility that it might rain. Fortunately we were painting the inside of the fellowship area, which would give at least space for 20 plus to work. It was dangling from the roof and spraying the siding for the exterior that I wasn’t sure would happen with the wind and the rain. My motto has been like the postal worker come rain or shine we will paint.

I was truly blessed to have 5 key leaders making Saturday’s project rock and roll. It was clear as we get into the swing of things that we would easily get the room done, the ceiling and the wall of the kitchen. I was pumped watching everyone move even on the roof and the overhang. I was truly blessed to have Bruce and Mark help with spraying. Once the weather calmed down Bruce was able to spray the exterior in literally 30 minutes. Wow!!

My cell just rang so after talking a little bit with my teen, who I am ticked at, I will leave to pick him up. We will see what happens through out the day with his attitude and willingness to take responsibility for himself. I am so glad that God’s love comes to each of us rain or shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment