Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Great Friend!

I just got off the phone with a great friend who has meant a lot to me over the last 17 years. I know it is easy at times to allow our differences to separate us instead of seeing where out hearts resonant when it comes to the gospel and seeing lives turned around. I will always remember some of the tiffs we have experienced in the first few years of being around one another. I know that I can and am at times arrogant about my life story and history with doing church work. I know that in my particular denomination that it is easy to have a chip on your shoulder if you are a church planter when it comes to your view of ‘regular’ pastors. I have at times looked down at traditional churches and pastors. After last Sunday with a good pastor friend I will repent again about being more open to recognize that God is at work in all circumstances for not only his glory but for my betterment!


I am amazed at how my one friend who has just moved to Wyoming can be interested in my life and the ongoing struggles with my dad’s journey with Dementia. I have been blessed to have a consistent home in the greater Phoenix area over the last 17 years. My friend has moved around a lot and had some tough circumstances both with church and potential mission work. What stands out over these last 7 years is our friendship, which is able to grow and not just survive our transitions in life.


This friend made my biggest life transition something that was not only doable but an experience I look back on as God pushing me to ‘dive’ into my present community work. I know that he was there for me when I hit bottom and struggled with a few leaders in my old church where we clashed over vision and direction. I know that it isn’t easy at times to know how to be a friend and support in tough circumstances. So as we chatted for over an hour I wanted to be a friend in a genuine fashion. I know he has had a difficult road the last couple of years without having steady income or sense of where he should go.


I am glad that we don’t have to have all of life figured out in order to be good friends. One of the amazing byproducts of doing multicultural work is that you are forced to look at an issue from many different perspectives. I know it is way too easy to have the ‘white guy’s’ perspective and assume that you have it figured out and know how to fix everything. I am thrilled that my friend is in a totally different setting, small town in Wyoming, that is able to refresh him and his wife.


Yesterday’s morning finished off with making an important connection with some new friends who will partner with New City. I am always amazed at how God helps me connect the dots. I am learning that listening, driving a distance and letting someone help me is God’s heart. As we were talking about having these guy’s church partner with us I get a call from an older couple that want to help with bringing food baskets on a monthly basis to our families. I was thrilled that they were willing to actually drive down and meet some of our families as they did this.


Yes it is exciting to have new friends that can be an encouragement and resource for spreading God’s grace and mercy.


No comments:

Post a Comment