Friday, September 14, 2012

Getting Old?


I got smashed yesterday with a good friend. Yeah we went to Smashburger and I had a Swiss Mushroom Burger. As we caught up after not seeing each other for around a month he shared about his vacation and more so his experience of being with his dad as he died. We talked a little about our journeys as pastors and whether or not either of us had been with people when they actually died.  He had to be honest and share that he hadn’t until his dad went to glory a few weeks ago.

I had a few experiences of being with some when they died. I have had the privilege of being around many who are believers who have awesome families that made their home coming to heaven an amazing experience both for them and also for the family. I also shared what it was like to be around older people who are bitter and angry at the world. I remembered being with a friend’s aunts and mom when they all died over a period of a year. It was a very sad and dark experience showing the hopelessness of those who are outside the kingdom of God.

I lost my mom to cancer almost five years ago. We share the same birthday so as I approach my B-day it is a reminder for me of my mom and how special she was to my brothers and me over the years. I know that for my friend Phil having his vacation stopped because of an ailing dad was very difficult. The fact that he was with his dad while in hospice for 2 weeks is a life changing experience. The reality is that all of us are getting old and that death is part of life. I know we want to avoid that topic especially when we are old and I’m getting old. I can’t fathom that I’m almost 60 years old. I can remember as a young college student thinking that being in my 20’s or 30’s was old.

I had a special morning with my Anne. We got up a little earlier, the dogs started  moving around and it is better to go on the canal early instead of when the joggers and other dog walkers are out. The moon was a crescent shape with only a little showing and the lights of the city were illuminating our path. There was also a helicopter that was stationary for 10 minutes obviously shinning it’s light on someone. The dogs always disappear into the darkness or the cotton, which is now around 3 feet tall. As we walked hand in hand I realized how fortunate I have been the last 39 years of my life to have such an amazing life-partner and soul mate.

As I had lunch at Smashburger we talked about death experiences. My friend Phil has a propensity of talking about unusual experiences that typically get us talking about spiritual moments that are outside the norm. So he shared a few things about his dad that were very much a reflection of someone that knew he was going to die and was prepared to meet Jesus. He had some moments where unexplainable things happened. I can remember when my mom died; I wasn’t there but my dad called me within minutes. My dad was ecstatic at the heavenly beings that welcomed my mom to her new heavenly home.

So as I approach my B-day it will be more a time to remember and celebrate the life of an amazing mom who was truly a friend, life coach and support. I turn into a crybaby at times as I talk about her. I can’t fathom that I started to cry at Smashburger with Phil. Yet, my mom was the ‘light’ of my life. Yes, we talked about whether we thought about which parent would die first and our response. I really didn’t expect my mom to leave us at the age of 78 but it was part of God’s plan.

Mom, I love you, miss you and wonder whether birthdays are part of life in heaven in God’s glorious kingdom? I know that we are not going to age with our new bodies whereas my old body is still pretty good for today but that could change tomorrow. I am super blessed to have an amazing wife, kids and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment