Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Thanks for giving!


I have been incredibly blessed over the last 5 years to have numerous friends, churches; businesses and non-profits give to help the work at New City-Barrio Nuevo in South Phoenix. I have been involved with doing church planting over the last 25 years of my life. This typically requires the need to raise some funds to get a church off the ‘ground floor’ after the first couple of years.. I understood going into doing multi-cultural work in South Phoenix that the likelihood of having either a sustainable church or non-profit was likely not going to happen. So how does someone make a difference in an area where there won’t be a huge amount of economic support?

I know that in theory that God is the owner of all the cattle on a thousand hills. I also know that God is more than capable of either raising someone from the dead or getting people to give to enable an inner city work to exist. The challenge is how does this work out in practice? How do I ask or get people to consider giving to something that most likely won’t be sustainable without ongoing outside support? I know that most overseas missionaries live in this same context where they are always networking or fishing to find more support through individuals and churches.

I am fortunate to be one who loves to network and connect with a variety of people where a few end up becoming part of the New City – Barrio team of volunteers. They eventually end up in a situation where they see a real need and desire to help by giving. I’m blessed to have many friends who are presently involved in helping our at risk youth get it and grow up to become responsible individuals who have an opportunity to honor God in their lives. This wouldn’t ever be possible if God wasn’t touching people’s hearts to do something totally outside their box of life experiences.

As I continue to do the work in South Phoenix I can look back and see how God has touched many to be faithful in caring, praying and giving. I am learning to see that any gift to this work is truly a blessing. It is easy at times to become more focused on large donors versus small donors. I kick myself to remember Jesus’ simple story of the widow with the mite or penny that gives her all instead of the rich person who gives a lot but not sacrificially.

These experiences have struck me by God convicting me to live on less and see that bigger isn’t better and many times less is really more. The challenge is that we live in a consumer driven world where everyone, regardless of income, wants the latest and greatest. I have had the experience of helping someone in our group get their first car. As he is looking on Craigslist he discovers that there are few cars in his price range of $1,000 or less. His sister, who has a full time job, is considering buying a new car. She has lots more options and the end result is a great looking ride that smells new. Whereas the ancient set of wheels he gets is already as old as him.
Yet, the experience of having something that is his will help my college student friend understand that new in his situation isn’t possible and he is better off with a real old car.  I know that his wife to be will applaud this step since they will have to live on a real budget. I have to confess from my pass that it was too easy after having a few clunkers to so much want a new car that cost too much and meant that instead of saving and having an emergency fund I wasted money on a vehicle that was worth 20% less the second I drove it off the lot. I can’t fathom that having a large car payment is anyone’s ultimate dream. Yet, the influence of his sister or another friend with a full time job might tempt him to think that he has to have a newer car.

I know that being rich isn’t a sin neither is being poor a sin. My wife, continues to remind me that often it is my ‘rich’ friends who are generous that have enabled me to do the work in South Phoenix. I also know that it is also the grandma that gives $25-50 a month that sustains many little churches and non-profits. I can remember from my days of working with Habitat for Humanity that 85% of all gifts came from individuals that typically were relatively small, like $100 or less. So yes I’m thankful for anyone who takes the time to think through giving to help us impact our South Phoenix neighborhood and our youth.

As I finished meeting with a great friend this morning, who is very involved with New City- Barrio, I thanked him for his commitment to help out and make a difference. I know that his journey saw him come out to a house painting a few times, join us for a trip to slide rock and then start coming to New City at Night and now he is a mentor and key painting leader. I’m humbled that he is willing to give in a sacrificial way to see his teen grow up in a better context. 

No comments:

Post a Comment