Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Got a Job? Mitch did!


I live in a world that is clearly defined by those who have and those who don’t. I have enjoyed watching both conventions the last couple of weeks and one of the obvious short comings in today’s economy is the lack of entry level jobs for high school grads. I know that we are suffering from a shortage of skilled labor and scientific experts but for my neighborhood it comes down to getting your first or second job. I have many friends who don’t balk at all for paying $1000 a month for health care when they come close to their retirement. Most of my friends I live around don’t have $30 a month for health care. They are making $12-15 an hour with no benefits except having a job and are attempting to house and feed a family of 4-6.

As I sit at my Starbucks writing I’m reminded at how much money I waste and others toss to the wind. Yeah, I decided to get a tall which means small coffee, which is the cheapest, I also get free refills. Yet, the challenge still comes back to finding a job and being able to keep it and hopefully make it work into a future or career. I know that a few of my guys have struggled with finding jobs. My other son, Terrance, has seriously tried looking for work but something with his size, he’s real big, his hairstyle and his bouncy friendly overtones puts a damper on his ability to get hired.

We did a job life skill group during the summer and will continue it through the school with the focus of helping our older teens get it. Yeah, I’m responsible for myself and I can’t blame anyone or thing for my mess. It is too easy to let anger and bad feelings stop you from succeeding. I know that Terrance kinda gave up a year ago and has been able to ‘fake’ it a little with the tuition help he gets for school. Last week we had a close friend, Harmony, share her story about having a tough life, growing up with no dad, a mom that ends up on drugs and the step dad from hell. Yet, she still finished college, got great jobs and in the end was there for her mom regardless of her mom’s situation.

My Anne has had steady employment for most of her life. She has been in transitions, like right now, just after having a temp job for a year, which was a byproduct of her job of 13 years being outsourced. So I understand that looking for work requires consistent effort and a special ‘nose’ for smelling out leads. So as we talk about marginalized youth finding work it is totally different. They don’t have the Internet, or laptops to help in their search. They also don’t have ‘wheels’ or even a bus card that can guarantee them arriving on time to work.

I am jazzed that one of my teens, Mitch, just got a job at McDonalds. I know that McDonalds hires all of the time so getting a job shouldn’t be a big deal, yet it is a big deal. I know I had mentioned Terrance who has gone to the same McDonalds as Mitch but didn’t get hired. Terrance does have prior experience working at a McD’s at the Ball Park so go figure. So Mitch followed our simple advice, apply online, go to the store and then talk with the real manager. He did this and within minutes he had an interview, went crazy trying to get his ‘Food Handlers License’ and then got hired.

Ok, so I have a few teens that prove that persistence and hard work pays off. It also has a lot to do with their willingness to go the extra mile to make it happen. I can’t say that everyone understands this. It is too easy to stop trying on the inside so even though you keep looking for work you aren’t emotionally into it at all. So I’m excited that Tay and Mitch are working, learning and growing up every day. I know that having a job is a huge part of life that can either be an amazing joy that fuels you or the biggest downer because you don’t like your boss or fellow workers and you haven’t gotten a raise in years. I’m thankful for my job career and calling! I’m spoiled to be able to do what I totally love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment