Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving


We are in San Diego about to enjoy some Thanksgiving Fare with the relatives. I know that we are on a little break from our work, yet, we both awake at 4:30am Cali time, 5:30am Phoenix time. We rise and I quickly remove a couple of the seats from our mini-van to enable our Mango to join us for a Thanksgiving trek around La Jolla Cove. We take a short detour via Starbucks to get some coffee and a snack.

We drive along an empty freeway braving the low fog on our way to the ocean and a great Thanksgiving morning. As we begin our drive along the La Jolla Cove area there are a multitude of parking spaces available that are typically full. As we park the van and get Mango ready for the walk we see a group of almost naked older gentlemen in swimming trunks ready to do a chilly morning swim in the Cove. We start our journey around the Cove and see another gentleman unloading his painting easel along with an incredible painting of the cliffs across from the Cove.

As we begin our walk along the Cove path I’m reminded of how grateful I’m for an incredible life! I have an amazing wife who continually reminds me of my need to open my eyes and take in the beauty of God’s creation. Today it is watching the waves crash into shoreline and little baby seals making their way onto the beach. As we make our way around the special path we see a dad and son going for an early walk. We see an older grandpa type riding a three-wheeler that is low to the ground. He quickly pulls up to greet us and offer Mango a treat. The treat disappears instantly into Mango’s carnivorous mouth.

We finish our early walk before most are up on this Thanksgiving morning of 2012. My mind reflects back to my youth with a mom and dad who always made Thanksgiving and Christmas very special. I can remember some of our family tradition was to get up early and watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade. My mom would have gotten up real early to get the turkey ready to ‘pop’ into the oven. We would eat a light breakfast to be ready for our Thanksgiving feast. My mom was an outstanding military mom that could do everything well and always had an amazing spread for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I know that it was easy for my kids growing up to tire of some of their mom’s rituals or traditions. One of our Thanksgiving traditions, which is still practiced, is placing at least three m & m’s on everyone’s plate. Everyone had to think about the last year and mention at least 3 things they are thankful about. I know that this may sound like a silly tradition but it forces me to reflect on the bigger picture in my life. It is oh so easy to miss the most important things in life while I’m obsessed with material possessions that border on idolatry. This last year my Anne had a genuine cancer scare that forced my kids and myself to stop and realize that the one who makes our lives so special could be gone.

I know that saying thank you has become a lost art for too many. I play a game with most of my New City kids so that when they ask me for something I don’t respond unless they say please and thank you. I know that my mom beat into me that without saying please or finishing with a thank you meant I wasn’t going to get anything. I know that too often I treat God this way when I take Him for granted and seldom express thanksgivings unless someone rebuffs me. So I’m thankful this Thanksgiving to have an incredible life partner, a great family and an amazing opportunity to be used to impact the lives of kids, teens and seniors living in the middle of brokenness and poverty.

I know that my mom is in heaven organizing the feast for today as we spend our Thanksgiving lunch with Anne’s mom and dad at their senior complex. I’m so thankful for my dad’s improved health over the last few months. He is the one who teaches me the most about being thankful. Every time I see him he is so quick to say a hearty thanks for taking him somewhere or just sitting with him. He makes me feel like I’m the important one instead of him. Most of all I’m so thankful to my Heavenly Father for his ongoing care, love and provision!

No comments:

Post a Comment