Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Joy of Helping!



Today I get to partner with a group of Jr. Highers and bless some friends who run 8th Day Coffee in downtown Phoenix. I’m really spoiled to have so many great friends who share a heart for impacting the community. It was a little over a month ago that a group of friends painted the outside of 8th Day Coffee just before their big opening for First Friday. (First Fridays can see upwards to 20,000 people walking in the art district of downtown Phoenix looking at local art and enjoying music and great food.)

It was four years ago that I was privileged to form a partnership with SCA, a Christian School in Scottsdale. This partnership has brought youth to help me do community service projects in South Phoenix and the downtown over the last 5 years. It was also through this partnership that one of their staff joined Grand Canyon University to birth the Servant Scholar Program just a year ago. I have been blessed to have interns from GCU that have made a real difference in our work with our youth and community.

While I’m waiting for this small group of young teens to come from SCA I am blessed to sip on a latte made by my new friend, Bruce. He is a semi-retired Radio Guy who is giving his ‘golden’ years to the Lord through overseeing 8th Day Coffee Shop. He has become a close friend over the last 3 months. We share lots in common with our older kids, actually adult kids and mutual friends. It is always a joy to purposely have meetings at 8th Day when it works with location. I’m truly a supporter of local business over franchises.  I still love my Starbucks and so much enjoy bugging Joseph the manager who is now a close friend and board member!

I will unload some paint, brushes, tarps and duct tape so these young teens can help bring attention to the outside of 8th Day. Tomorrow night literally hundreds will walk through the coffee shop and art gallery. There is a display of a veteran who is a gifted poet who experienced the unfortunate tragedy with war of being hurt while serving his county. My friend Bruce, I come to discover, actually took in this young man because he was struggling and needed help. It was through this tragedy that God has used him to express himself with his pen. Bruce has an incredible voice that I could sit and listen to for hours on end. Yet, it is through Bruce’s love and compassion on this young man that God is using to touch others with his passion for living regardless of his physical situation.

I have to confess that I have so many friends who have helped me out through their prayers, partnering with our work in South Phoenix and giving financially. It is humbling to be in a situation where I’m learning to pray Lord give me this day my daily bread. The real eye opening experience is that God provides. My wife reminds me that I need to be more thankful. God is so amazing when we least deserve it. Thank you for Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment