Thursday, December 20, 2012

Canal Sharks?


I know that most people would consider Anne and I crazy to take our dogs walking at pre-dawn hours and also walk them at twilight on our canal adjacent to some open farming areas. It can be really dark on our canal trail because there aren’t any lights but the city around us in the distance. Often when the moon is hidden behind clouds or is totally eclipsed it can almost be a frightening type of walk when you can allow your imagination to go wild. Our dogs love being out in the open and able to roam, race and enjoy not being leashed. Yes, on occasion there will be others walking their dogs but not usually at 5:30am or at 10pm.

My Anne does have a propensity for helping animals. I know that my in-laws would say that our pet fetish is my doing but actually it is Anne’s. So when the ducks fly into our canal area for a few months we end up feeding them dog food. So it isn’t too long before the ducks quickly come to us when they see our headlights pulling onto the canal trail. Our first duck friend, a white duck named Matilda, would quickly make her way to us and we would spoil her. Initially there wasn’t any competition for the food.

Now comes the good part, yes, there are canal sharks. It was somewhat frightening to see fish that are 3-4 feet long start fighting the poor little duck for the dog food. We laughed at first but realized the little duck was really afraid of these creatures that would start jumping out of the water to compete for her breakfast or late night snack. What has become shocking is to now see the fish waiting at our parking spot to automatically chase after the food we have been throwing for the ducks. We assumed we could out smart the canal sharks but they have become aggressive.

So what’s the big deal about canal sharks? The reality is that I live around people who are like canal sharks. This is kinda sad story when it comes to my kids and teens that are living on their own without a whole lot of love or direction in life. I was in the middle of doing a wedding rehearsal last week and got attacked by a canal shark. This one mom couldn’t get my simple message please don’t call or text I’m in the middle of a rehearsal. Looking back I do feel like one of these poor little ducks who is just trying to make it and then all of a sudden you got attacked from underneath.

I don’t have physical wounds, yet, but ultimately I could. The law of the land where I live is revenge and don’t let anyone ever get the last word. Don’t show any type of weakness or emotion otherwise you will be perceived as a loser. So as I’m trying to get this mom to chill she comes unglued as if it is my fault that she can’t keep track of her ‘stuff. The argument was over her son’s stuff, which she believed was ‘divinely’ hers. What got me was that ultimately she lied and made a big deal out of nothing.

I know that canal sharks get to be really big not from eating my little ducks but from eating all of the garbage in the canal. They are bred to eat algae and plants that stop the canal from flowing. It isn’t much different from people who have chosen a life style that avoids personal responsibility and assumes that the government, churches or non-profits should provide them with everything for nothing. Yes, I’m willing to help and be available for those who are willing to step up and take ownership of their lives. Yet, sometimes there are little duck like type of kids and teens who are left to fend for themselves way too early.

So as Christmas approaches I know that most of my larger friend group will have great Christmas times enjoying great food and awesome gifts. Yet, the reality for most of my kids and teens is there won’t be any great meal or gifts. Yes, we have been blessed through many helping with food and gifts, but the best gift, is that of a real family that takes the time to listen, love and be there. Yeah, the canal sharks are always going to be out there so my ducks have to be faster and smarter. I’m not sure my little kids are able to fend for themselves and can’t be hurt by the canal sharks in their lives. So please consider helping one of my little ones by being a special friend, tutor or mentor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment