Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Bad Weather isn't always bad!


I know that many love the rain, snow and wind. It's not that I don't enjoy the changing weather of winter, even in Phoenix; it's the canceling or postponing of an event that isn't the easiest. I have bragged in the past that out of painting 65 houses in the last 5 years we have only postponed one painting event and then gotten rained on just as we finished one other time. I tend to make the assumption that it doesn't rain much if any in Phoenix. 

I am so blessed to have such great friends and volunteers who help organize and pull off great community events. One of my moms, who is a special friend, asked me a couple of days ago about the weather. I was slow to admit that it was probably better to put on hold our Christmas party. My friend's church has sponsored this special event the last 4 years. Everyone in my group gets Christmas presents along with some of my grandmas. We will still hand out the gifts but will switch our party to January. I hesitated to cancel but realized that it will rain like cats and dogs on Friday and where we will be is out in the open so it will be damp and cold for Phoenix. 

I just finished e-mailing my team and canceled the bouncy and different food orders for different friends that help with cooking and catering. I know that selfishly, because I have a wedding that day, it will be a better day for me to not have to worry about setup and clean up and all the extras. Yet, I will miss the chance to tell others about the real meaning of Christmas and bless the families that just happen to be at the park that day that are totally unaware of what we are doing. 

I know that bad weather or bad stuff happens to everyone. As I wrote our Christmas letter it made me reflect on the many awesome things that God did through us over the year with thousands of volunteer hours happening and our group of almost 100 youth being impacted. Yet, the heartache of a few who have struggled for the year I can't mention as easily. There are some who have been jobless and homeless over the year. There are a few who have loved ones in prison or a detention center for youth. I know some where their X's have made life horrible for them and the kids. 

I know for me last Christmas was a nightmare. I woke up Christmas morning to discover my dad had a stroke. As I watched him sleeping on the couch after a Christmas Eve dinner and church I felt a sense of family. Yet, when I awoke the following Christmas morning something wasn't right. His speech was slurred and he couldn't pick up his cup of coffee. I knew that I had to call the paramedics and end up at St. Joe’s. Needless to say my Christmas was ruined and I was left depressed and thinking God had it out for me.

As we drove my dad to see some Christmas lights a few evenings ago it struck me how well he was doing and that if his mild stroke hadn’t happened he wouldn’t have gotten the help he really needed. I know that bad weather brings changes, sometimes unexpectantly, but also it can be a welcomed change.

I know that ultimately God is part of both the great weather and bad weather in life. It isn’t always easy for me to want to hear God say NO to something that I have put too much of myself into. So as I have postponed, not canceled Saturday’s party it, will give an opportunity for something that happened that wasn’t good to maybe turn out different. Yes, I will welcome the rain on Friday and Saturday knowing that we can still celebrate Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment