Thursday, December 6, 2012

Gospel is for Good People?


One of the big questions in life is whether God loves me because I’m good, do great things and is better off with me on his side. So if I happen to be honest with myself than it is easy to come to the conclusion that God could never love me and I’m not worthy of anyone’s love.  I live in a world where it is easy for many to judge people according to whether they appear to be worthy or deserving of God’s help.  The reality for all of us, I believe, is that we love conditionally. So if you are good to me than I will be good to you. If you are mean to me than I’m going to get back at you. Revenge or getting even too often becomes the rule of the land.

I’m always around circumstances where it is easy to judge people and decide internally that someone isn’t worthy of my time or energy. I have been told by many, especially social workers or teachers that working with at risk youth is a waste of time. No one every changes and you are wasting your time and ultimately just enabling someone to maintain their ‘evil lifestyle’. It is too easy to judge someone according to my way of thinking and totally miss out on how God purposely loves the underdog and, as my wife would say – the mutant.

One of my favorite authors is Brenning Manning. He is a prolific writer who always is focusing on God’s grace, mercy, redemption and hope for everyone, including himself. He is someone who is quick to say that he would be perceived as the one who should have never been loved by God or people. He would be the proverbial drunk in the gutter who is always looking up to see someone with a condescending look on his or her face. He would introduce himself first as being an alcoholic who happens to be a Priest and author.

I have lots of stories in my life that always push me to rethink my view of how I live out the Gospel today. It is too easy to theologically and intellectually say the correct things but the convicting reality is that I don’t practice it in the way I treat people. I’m often torn as to how to express love in the midst of sinful tragedies that impact everyone. I think it is important to understand both the cost of our sin and the consequences of our life choices. It is too easy to either assume that because someone behaves like a good person they must get it and those that continue to mess up must be far off from the Gospel and Jesus.

I’m so thankful that God has chosen to love me according to His Son’s actions and not my own. I have learned over time how to control my temper; I still have a temper, and have learned how to gauge what I say without loosing it. Yet, in my heart of hearts I want to get revenge and prove to the person I can’t stand that I’m better then them and God clearly loves me more.  It is so easy to have the mindset that this person really could never be forgiven and absolutely would never amount to anything.

Jesus had an annoying habitat of always choosing people who fit the not deserving of God’s love to be part of his own group. I can’t fathom that Jesus understood that Judas would sell him out, Peter would betray him not once but three time and often would say in his parables that he came for those that weren’t invited to the banquet. My experience is that it isn’t natural for anyone to love those who aren’t loveable according to their standards. We would quickly say that God would never redeem a murderer on death’s row. Someone like Chuck Colson, one of Nixon’s ‘hatchet’ men, has been used by God to transform prison life for many with the real meaning of the Gospel being for those who are truly lost like my friend Brennan and myself.

The real struggle for most of us, myself included, is that I really believe that I’m better than most people. It is too easy to think inside that I’m not like my neighbor who does all of these crazy things. My context is more that I’m not foolish enough to lose my job, my house and dignity by getting high, stealing a car or breaking into someone’s house to get cash. The Gospel is totally for the person who fits this picture. (This is not to say that God doesn’t love the ‘goody two shoes type’.) Jesus came to save the lost not those who believe that they are better than everyone else.

Yes, I can waste my time when it comes to helping my kids, teens or single moms. I can end up doing good things for the wrong reasons trying to earn my way to heaven or build up my status before fellow urban workers. My learning curve is figuring out how to express the Gospel both in words and deeds so everyone I’m around can see that grace and mercy is the path to wholeness. It is so easy to get frustrated over both little kids gone wild, teens that do dumb things, single moms that are flaky and people with resources that are selfish. God is calling me to look less at them and examine my own heart, which I have to admit is wicked above all things.

I love how Paul expresses in Romans how Christ dies for us before we become superstars in the church or seasoned veterans in community development work. Yet, the challenge is that I’m always weighing and measuring myself in comparison to others. What if I don’t see real life change with someone that I’ve been around for 1 year or even 5 years? Does this mean that I have wasted my time? The Gospel ultimately is about God’s amazing love that draws us to himself to be redeemed, renewed and given a new life that we have to willfully choose to guard but also share. I long to see those around me truly get the Gospel and not turn it into an empty legalism or an intellectual pursuit.

God, I thank you for loving me regardless of how I have lived but I pray that you will help me live in such a way to please you and see your Spirit bring others to yourself through the Gospel of your Son!

No comments:

Post a Comment