Friday, December 7, 2012

The Neighborhood


Yesterday I connected with a friend so we could ‘check out’ each other’s neighborhoods where we live and work. We are both passionate about seeing our communities become sustainable. I’m especially passionate about seeing at risk youth get it and not become a statistic in South Phoenix. My friend, Ryan, is part of an intentional community that has another family living close to his with a shared ministry house and prayer house in the downtown.

My purpose for connecting was to make sure my homeless outreach had a better place to serve and connect. We had been taking clothing, food and water to an area around many downtown homeless shelters. The challenge was that the City really didn’t want any groups giving out food or clothing in this area but to partner with existing shelters. The problem was that too often those who were helping would create a mob scene where both volunteers or the homeless could get injured.

I had already met a special friend of Ryan’s, Shelley, who was presently part of his A2J community. She has been living in the prayer house for sometime. I connected with her at a First Friday a month ago because of a mutual friend who also brings clothing and hygiene items for the homeless once a month. I wanted to have my outreach on the Sunday before Christmas and Christmas Eve be done in this neighborhood. It is just a few blocks from most of the homeless shelters in the downtown.

I had a great time getting to know my friend Ryan and also Shelley. We then hopped into our cars and did a 10-minute drive to South Phoenix where I had Ryan get into my truck. We did a 20 minute tour of my neighborhood or as I say hood. I had just gotten a call from some of teens about getting a ride home from school. So we drive for 5 minutes and pick up the twins and their good friend. This gives Ryan a quick chance to hear from some of my kids about the work we do. I give my typical habitat talk and explain about how we have been involved with South Ranch a Habitat Community of over 200 people. We drive through the neighborhood and see Maria, one of my awesome mom’s, driving to get her teens who are also my kids.

We then drive to our painting neighborhood less than a mile away so Ryan can see first hand where we have painted 60 houses in the last 4 years. I pull up to Grandma Sarah’s house and of course the mob of little kids flock to my truck. I quickly do some intros with Ryan and especially with Sarah.  The kids want to come with us and hang out but I explain it won’t happen today but tomorrow. I quickly stop by where we meet for church and host big events so Ryan can see how everything is within a few miles of each for the heart of our work.

I was so excited to make a real connection with my friend and form a partnership that will help me be more effective in helping outside groups know the best place to help the downtown homeless. I think I gave Ryan lots of ideas about connecting with the community in the work we are presently doing. As we drove and talked it was obvious that we had many mutual friends and similar DNA. It was a busy afternoon driving around before my life skill group. As we are driving I get a bunch of texts and calls about tonight’s gathering at Starbucks. I was excited to have a couple of my interns come to share about their life stories.

I had an important call from one of my Phoenix PD friends, Ben. He asked if I would be willing to have his group help with a few families at Christmas. This was made possible through a generous grant from a local non-profit birthed by a radio superstar. I of course call him back quickly and say of course! I end up getting a text of desperation from one of my single moms with 8 kids. She admits that she has blown it this year and has no money for any Christmas gifts at all. She mentions that her kids have been crying because they know Christmas isn’t going to happen. I remind her that most of the kids will get gifts through New City.

As I ask her to send a text with the name of her kids and her mom’s kids I realize that there are 16 kids on this list. I was so thankful that Ben, who works in my neighborhood, purposely chose to help out. This will make a group of 16 kids jazzed on Christmas day. As I started off in my blog, I love my neighborhood and the ongoing activity that makes it an exciting place to live and work. It also is a faith stretching experience to be part of this community not always knowing where the resources will come to help make a difference.

I’m so thankful that God chose to send Jesus into our neighborhood or world so we could discover God’s love and a path back to real life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment