Monday, January 14, 2013

A Banquet


I will be the first to admit that I don’t like answering my phone, especially later at night. I believe that God made voice mail and texts to help us when we can’t multi-task. This last Friday night I was sick and we had gone out for late pancakes because Anne had pulled a 12-hour shift at Good Sam. I also remember that I allowed a few of the older guys to do a game night at the house. I was chilling before Anne got home around 9:30 and checked my voice mail before we left for pancakes. There was a message from a good friend who had some food left over from a wedding rehearsal dinner.

The first question is whether I call him tonight or wait until the morning. I decide to give him a call and discover that my doctor friend had catered the dinner for his nephew and had great food left over for 50 people. Sometimes I feel like the ‘dumping zone’ for giveaways. Yet, I knew that this would be great food and would have enough cake probably for 70 people. I already had an appointment for Saturday to pick up some food for some of my families from one of my partner churches. So we decide to meet ½ way at 8th Day Coffee Shop. He decides that he is too busy with the wedding and has a mutual friend who helps paint actually deliver the food. After a nice catch up conversation and some coffee we transfer the 8 trays of food into the back of my truck.

I decided to drop off some of the food to someone at A2J and the Prayer House. I knew that my one friend, Shelly, would love the food. I pull up and knock on the door and no one was home. So I break into the other house, I have the code and deliver enough food to feed Shelly and a few friends. As I’m finishing up two guys show up who are part of this intentional Christian Community in this neighborhood.

I introduce myself and quickly discover that these brothers are hosting a lunch for their fellow apartment dwellers at 1:30 today. The only challenge for them was not having any food. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist or brainy theologian to figure out that God had our paths cross for a purpose. So I offer the lunch I already had for their lunch. These guy’s eyes light up and they are feeling like wow God is awesome! I’m thankful now that I didn’t ignore my friend’s text and actually followed through.

As I’m getting ready to leave, I text my other friend, who played deliveryman and explained what had happened with the food. I send a picture of the guys and get back home before I collapse from the flu. The rest of the day was just as incredible with me getting enough food to bless around 20 families. I’m still not as quick to answer the phone at night so please leave me a message or text me, I’ll will get back to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment