Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pray for my special friend - Art



It has been quite a journey with doing community work over the last 6 years. This Christmas has brought back memories of different people who we have helped but don’t see often because they are housebound because of their age or illness. I’m hoping in the new year to have a few of my ‘Soccer Mom’s’ that have more free time to visit many of the 60 plus houses we have painted over the last 5 years. I do have favorites because of how these seniors responded to what my group(s) have done over the years.  

I have to share about one of my special friends – Art. I will always remember how James described this bald old man who didn’t want us to paint his house. He was very stubborn and unwilling to let James or me persuade him to let us paint it. If you know me I can’t take no for an answer. It took me a month of asking or knocking at his heart’s door before he finally said yes. He has a small house that belongs to his deceased mom that has lots of problems.

It was always funny how Art would go out of his way to be stubborn and mean. I can remember painting most of his house but the back yard was a total dumping zone for an old boat and various engines from who knows what. It was also full of doggy land minds. I forgot to tell you that Art took in strays that very much suited him really well. I think his record was probably 20 cats and 15 dogs. I can remember thinking that the group of Jr. Highers from SCA would have a fit if they knew they were going to be cleaning up Art’s backyard.

I make Art a ramp for his front door and also for getting to the backyard. He had a stroke 6 years ago that left him in a wheelchair. It only took a couple of wheelbarrows of concrete for it to happen. I was proud of my accomplishment until he complained about how the front ramp had a crack in it. I explained that was normal for concrete especially when it is only ½ inch thick. I know that he did love us painting all of his pop outs and trim in the front pink. I had all of the kids over two summers actually put their pink ‘paw’ prints on his block wall in the front. It became our memorial to Art.

I got busy over the summer and didn’t see Art for a couple of months. I knew he would ball me out and say don’t be a stranger. I was so glad that we had Thanksgiving and Christmas Baskets to give out. I was also thrilled to give him a turkey and a ham. I also knew that one day I would probably get a call either from Junior or Tanya.

The call came but it wasn’t the end, yet. Art has some tough choices to make in the next couple of days. I know that he can’t stand having that feeding tube in his nose or in his stomach. I think he understands what will happen if he stops his I.V. ‘s and tube feeding. He will slowly die a little each day over a few weeks. I don’t want him to do that. I also know that Tanya doesn’t want him to do that either.

How do I tell an ornery  old man that life is still worth living even if he has to write out his don’t be a stranger messages to me instead of screaming at me. I know that he loved to cook and care for all of his animals and probably couldn’t do this any more. Is it my counsel that he should follow about what’s next in life. I so much want him to know God not as a stranger who might seem to have a cruel sense of humor as he is being tortured after his stroke but  as a shepherd who welcomes back  a stray that has been lost for a lifetime.  Art it is time for you to let the Great Shepherd, Jesus Christ, take care of you for eternity.

Art, please don’t be a stranger to God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment