Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Jumping out of a plane at 87?


I know as a kid growing up everyone has their heroes. Most guys in the 60’s adored superman, the lone ranger or the super dog Lassie. I know that many guys worship the ground their fathers walk upon. My dad was someone that did super hero type things, like flying in airplanes and dropping bombs. I really didn’t understand the implications of this until I was an older teen. I would always ask my mom where my dad was during his 4 day or 7 day alerts where he would live in the ‘shack’ waiting for the alarm to sound and have literally minutes to be in the bomber ready to fly off in a specific order to provide the world with the means for peace.

Today my other hero, not during my youth but adulthood, is going to fly off in the blue sky to do something many dream about but few actually have the guts, courage or some might say stupidity to do. I have been fortunate to have many ‘real’ men in my life who have modeled what it truly means to be a man’s man. I married way too young and my father in-law would never let me forget that but during the last 40 years he has modeled both what it means to be responsible but also free to be himself.

We have hiked to the top of half-dome which is enough to put anyone to shame when it comes to determination and real stamina. This is a 22-mile hike where you ascend 4,000 feet up granite steps that can overwhelm even those in the best physical condition. I can remember the first time we did this as a group with mostly family members that my father in-law was competing for the lead. He has usually pictured me as the one who is somewhat hyperactive when in reality we could be twins when it comes to adventure and wanting to do different types of activities.

Today we will drive to Brown Field to celebrate his 87th birthday a week or so late. He lives in a senior complex where there are a few grandma types that have jumped out of airplanes even at the age of 85. Paul goes for the complex record of being the first 87 year old. I know that we all joke around but this is crazy and why would anyone spend so much money for a couple of minutes of free fall. Yet, the reality is that everyone deep down inside wants to jump out of a plane, hike to the top of Mt. Everest or finish a marathon.

I joke on occasion about my father in-law’s racecar antics in his little Nissan Sentra. He really believes that he is in a topless Corvette. Yet, the adventure and spark of life is there. I’m so proud and blessed to be part of his life and learn from his example of what it means to be a loving father and such an amazing husband! I know that the few minutes of ecstasy will be well worth the donation by all of his kids. We will re-live this historic moment by a video that will bring back tears when he makes the ultimate trip or hike to his heavenly home. This won’t happen today but he is the one who plans everything out in detail and knows the rest of the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment