Wednesday, May 29, 2013

When It Rains It Pours


I know that old clichés sometimes sound rather ‘corny’ but do aptly describe real life. I know that the unexpected happens when we don’t make plans and don’t have the resources. We had a glorious weekend with getting away at a local resort that had holiday specials. We were able to host a grad party for our High School graduates. We had some special friends come over to swim and go out to dinner. It was a very awesome time to share a little of our resources to show our love and friendship.

The following morning I get a text from a good friend saying that his cousin and family were just killed in a car accident where a truck crossed over the divide in the road and tragedy happens again. I know this friend has had more then his fair share of problems which all of us can understand. Yet, I know his mom is hurting because of her brother’s huge loss. I just got a text from a teen that asks for some help with food. During the next text she shares that she is pregnant.

It is amazing how difficult circumstances force us to communicate and hopefully work better together. I had another teen, who is also pregnant; ask for some help in paying for her visit to the doctor. I know that it is difficult to trust someone enough to ask for help and advice. Yet, this is happening because we have been around our neighborhood for a long time and have built trust.

I have a couple of guys that have gotten in some trouble and will end up in juvenile court soon. I will be there with them and have told them both it is time to listen, be respectful and learn. The time to grow up is today no more joking or messing around. The reality is that what we do today does count forever! It is eye opening to all of a sudden receive a summons in the mail and realize that mommy or daddy can’t rescue you or pay off something.

I know that one of the key ingredients in making a difference in a neighborhood is being able to adapt to change. This is difficult when you have been raised around an unhealthy community where few understand the importance of following through, building healthy relationships and getting that hard work does pay out and helps you when life goes south. The challenge for many is it is easy to believe that taking short cuts is the preferred way of life and that as long as I don’t get caught bending the rules doesn’t matter. (Aren’t rules made to be broken?)

The reality is that bad things happen at times to good people and sometimes good things happen to bad people. My hope is to teach that living a grace centered life will ultimately impact the way people view each other and treat each other. If I live in a totally conditionally context where I only help those who have helped me or I choose to be indifferent to those around me that are indifferent to me than nothing will change for the better. It takes one person to step up and show that yes at times life will have a thunder storm where it seems that everything collapses but I can learn how to work through the bad times as I better understand that each day is new with an opportunity to make life better.

Yes, it has been raining a lot lately but the good news is that being a community helps each other face both the good times and bad times with the right perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment