Friday, May 17, 2013

Skateboarding Cat and the Beach?


I love the ocean, the boardwalk and the unusual sights between interesting people and their pets. This last week after staying on the Pacific Beach board walk area we went back to our favorite breakfast spot – Konos. It was during the times we sat outside and enjoyed the cool ocean breeze and the view that we happened to see each day a rather unusual sight, a guy, not homeless, taking his cat for a ride on his skateboard. This drew some attention from the families with kids that were walking up and down the boardwalk.

It was during our second day at PB that we noticed our special friend getting some coffee at Konos when he actually gave his skateboarding cat a drink. Yeap, the kitty, who is rather small and skinny, actually sipped from his cup. He proceeded to take the cap off and the feline lapped up some of the brew and then he proceeded to put the top back on and drink it for himself.

It wasn’t a surprise that a picture of this skateboarding feline got a few hits on Facebook and from a few friends. I couldn’t tell from this guy's actions whether he was a beach bum that dressed nicely or whether he was a college student that was finished for the summer. Regardless he brought lots of attention from the crowds flowing by his little kitty that would stay put on his board even when he walked off.

I’m not sure what was more amusing during our beach stay between some guys trimming palm trees that were like 60 feet high, walking 2 miles to get substandard curry or watching a construction crew mix by hand concrete to do a little job around our hotel. We actually befriended a young couple that were from the Bay Area close to where we had lived. They had asked for us to take a couple of pics and we ended up talking about sights to see and helped them decide to visit the zoo and the real downtown area. Unfortunately they had already spent too much money on taxies instead of taking the trolley or getting the shuttle from their hotel to take them to all of the exotic places in San Diego.

As I sit in my nephew’s coffee shop, it isn’t a Starbucks but a local family owned store, it is fun to enjoy a totally different feel of a very different city. Yes, I agree that people are people and have similar issues, interests and passions. I had enjoyed reading an article with great pictures by my brother who loves to travel and do photo journalism. He did an expose on the Favelas from Rio in Brazil. I know that real poverty is something most Americans don’t have much exposure to but understanding that poverty is much more about brokenness and not having family ties into watching people wander around by themselves.

I’m not sure if I would spend hours upon hours attempting to get Carly, Peanut, Freckles or Graham to go skateboarding with me. I know that they would have loved to run on the beach and play in the tidal water of the ocean. I know as we drive back to our other home tonight that I will remember the cat guy and my time spent with my nephew shopping for his prom outfit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment