Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lone or Lame Duck?


I will be the first to admit that I believe I’m capable of going 24-7 without much rest. As I age my past life style choices do catch up with me. I do get tired and actually collapse from exhaustion after a marathon painting blitz or like this week a basketball tournament that saw me getting up at 5am and then getting home around 6:30pm. I love what I do but see in God’s providence our need to have consistent rest and times to get away from the action.

I kidnapped my Anne for the night and we are at a fancy resort because of a very discounted price on Kayak. It’s my Anne who is the superstar that did an all night shift at Good Sam doing spiritual care non-stop from 8pm to 8am. Then she arrives home and I give her about an hour to get rest and then off to our Korean Church for doing worship together. I knew that she might end up nodding off during the service but didn’t. (I know that I would have been doing the hand jerk thing where you put your head on your hand and occasionally you doze off and your hand and arm collapse.)

After arriving for our staycation I let my Anne take a real nap for a couple of hours to recharge her battery. We had a pleasant evening getting dinner, nothing fancy only burgers at the Habit and then watching some rather esoteric PBS T.V. show that reminded me of Downton Abby. I persevered and then we actually went to bed instead of staying up until midnight with the awareness that our herd of dogs would wake us at dawn for a walk.

As I write this my Anne is actually sleeping in and hopefully won’t feel guilty or have a hangover. We find it difficult to sleep beyond 6am and have this sense of horrible guilt if we are still in bed around 8am. It is difficult for us to stay in bed past daylight because our dog herd will be licking us and attempting to get us out of bed. I know that sleep is rather an amazing creation by God that forces us to literally stop everything and be still. I can’t fathom what it would be like to actually keep going 24-7 and never stop for sleep.

I do know that some of our teens and young adults have attempted to stay up for a few days in a row doing video games. I know that the latest version of Black Opps whatever tempted many to play until their eyelids had to be glued open. I can remember in my college days doing a few all nighters to be ready for tests. It was my architect roommate who always had projects that required extended hours. I’m thankful that I don’t have to work or live this way unless I choose on a rare occasion to stay up way too late.

I’m thankful for being able to allow my Anne an opportunity to sleep in and not feel guilty and be refreshed. She deserves a break and a chance to get recharged!

No comments:

Post a Comment