Thursday, August 22, 2013

If it ‘ain’t broke don’t fix it?


I know most are familiar with an old adage that would remind us that if something seems to be working don’t mess with it. The challenge with this mindset is that all too often I really am broken and am too afraid to fess up and be open to getting help. We had another reminder about how broken we are as another near tragedy almost happened in a school in Atlanta. Fortunately the one who was one the edge was helped by someone who understood how to help by listening and directing and adverted another tragedy.

It isn’t very popular to talk about the brokenness that exists in today’s society regardless of what community you have been birthed around. Suicide is still one of the main ‘killers’ of our youth regardless of skin color or socio-economic up bringing. I had lunch with a friend yesterday who talked about his teen struggling with difficult issues. I met with another friend this morning that also echoed what it was like to have an adult daughter or son be disconnected over different issues. I also talked with someone about the need to address mental health or wholeness issues on the campus of the largest University in the U.S.

I have been raised in a culture where it isn’t typical for the average male who wants to be viewed as successful to open up and admit that they struggle with identity issues and view themselves as being failures. I know that showing any signs of weakness in many settings means you might lose your job, if a youth get beaten up by a gang member or in a family be laughed at by a dad or uncle. So why would anyone want to open up and admit to being broken when the usual response will be laughter or a quick slam?

I’m hoping that a new trend to talk about real life issues will become more prevalent on college campuses and high school campuses will talk about why teens too often hurt themselves for what appear to be no apparent reason. I know that as a parent of adult kids it is a huge learning curve to accept that the perception of my kids is what becomes reality whether I believe it or not. My being right in any situation had better not become the deciding factor of whether I relate back to my family members.

I’m learning that all too often what I have in common with others is our shared brokenness. Often as I relate back to friends young and old few come out of intact families with a mom and dad who are still together. Everyone has been impacted by the poor economy with the loss of jobs or houses. Sadly to say the social media which has changed the face of the world also becomes a battering ram for too many that are left devastated by a remark by a friend. I know that someone’s choice to hurt themselves can be a byproduct of a viral Facebook post or something on YouTube.

It’s time to go back and admit that we are in a broken society where the sooner we talk in a more open fashion about our wounds the sooner there can be wholeness and peace instead of anger and bitterness. I admit that my brokenness too often is something that I hide instead of sharing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment