Thursday, August 8, 2013

Pray or at least think about it!


I know that it is politically incorrect to talk about prayer on social media for some. My hope is to rattle a few to rethink their view of life in this blog. There have been studies done under clinical conditions that attempt to prove if prayer has any impact on circumstances. I have spent most of my life working with youth and adults that are in very difficult circumstances. I know that it can be rather easy to say ‘I’ll pray for you’ and then walk away.

I want to challenge everyone to see the obvious need and benefit of being better at communicating with those that are in your circle and then also for those that are on the fringe of your circle of friends. I have observed that God’s answers to my prayers typically aren’t what I expect but have more to do with me changing my attitude and willingness to step up and do something. I have heard many say that it is so important to put ‘feet’ to your prayers. We don’t live in a vacuum so when someone calls me and says that their son has been running away on and off, I don’t say hey I’ll pray for him and oh by the way have a great day. Instead, I ask if it is ok to get together soon and listen to each other.

Yesterday I was able to see answers to some rather amazing prayer requests. I have a friend who is being evicted from their home. I didn’t have money to help but did something as simple as talk to the property manager and get them to flex a little more and then the pressure of moving changed and the fear of being sued was gone. I had another circumstance that was just as difficult with a good friend and their mom. The likelihood of a parent being able to really listen to their adult child is very tough. Yet, after listening and talking for a couple of house our goal of hearing and being more transparent was beginning to happen.

Today I had texts from a couple of moms about teens that were running away or disappearing for a day or two and then coming back. I don’t know what is going to happen. I know that I have asked a few close friends to pray and I have also reached back to the teens that are hurt and confused to help get them a little perspective on life, such as running away without a job, support structure or money in your pocket isn’t smart. I see that as I pray and ask for prayer it forces me to be more honest about myself. Yeah, I know that at times I drove my kids, now adults, a little crazy because of choices I made that impacted them.

One of the more difficult lessons in life is understanding that everyone experiences brokenness in relationships all of the time. One of the key signs of a healthy person is someone that is willing to acknowledge their brokenness and then take steps not to fix those around them but look in the mirror. I don’t like looking in the mirror because it reminds me that I have gray hair, some wrinkles and that I could be in better shape. I don’t need someone reminding of these things, yet, I do need someone to affirm me, love me, choose to be around me and ultimately encourage me.

So yes I think you should considering praying, even if you don’t necessarily know God intimately and discover what can happen. It is too easy to be an island and a lone ranger type that ends up being alone in their brokenness. My hope is to see God shed lots of light on the great fortunate of communicating better and allowing others to see you on the inside where life isn’t so great. So I know that my prayers are more likely change me then those whom I’m praying for! Pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment