Friday, August 23, 2013

Racial Slurs - Why?


I was having coffee with a young college grad now working on his Masters. He made a rather interesting statement that he didn’t get how people could be racist and yell out a variety of terms that demeaned others different from him. He couldn’t fathom why there were both race and religious wars happening throughout most of our world. I looked rather aghast at his naive way of looking at the world. I asked hadn’t you ever had a run in with someone that was different from you and end up believing that they are either not as smart as you or as good of a worker as you?

I had sent out an online newsletter update of New City – Barrio and got back a terse e-mail from an older gentleman who was bent out of shape because I had called myself a ‘White guy’? I reacted to myself by saying go figure! I understand that it would be inappropriate for someone from the outside looking in at me to say, ‘Hey you old white man or grandpa!’ Yet, I was the one calling myself this name. I have worked around different racial groups most of my life. I know that everyone has slang expressions they choose to call one another. It is perfectly ok for someone who is like them or me to do this but not someone on the outside looking into the situation.

Last night we had a life group where we ended talking about racial slurs and why it was ok for someone that is the same race to slur another but someone from outside it was considered worthy of being shot. I admit that the use of different terms today mean different things than when I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s. My Spanish isn’t too great but I can remember hearing certain phrases when I was working with mostly Hispanics that one day I just happened to repeat. I was shocked to see the reaction even though everyone else was quick to spew out these terms.

We had just watched the movie, The Butler and were reminded of the Civil Rights Movement and the issues with giving African Americans, Negros or Blacks equality. This is clearly an ongoing discussion for Blacks, also women in the workplace and teens that are viewed as being sub-adults. So our discussion for a time focused last night on the N word. I always laugh when my Black teens will yell the N word back and forth at each other as if it is the same as saying hi, how are you doing or what’s up.


I had some friends who are Black and Hispanic share their life stories and how racism impacted them. It surprised me to hear my Hispanic friend honestly say he didn’t see people as colors but as individual people whose character and choices defined them not their skin color. This shocked one of the teens that then proceeded to talk about the N word and brought a rise out of the rest of the group. It is clear that we still live in a racial world where we can slam someone without even knowing it or intentionally use a word that is clearly going to start a fight.

I know that my young college grad friend didn’t understand that the way different cultures communicate at times causes racial wards. I grew up with parents that were raised in the midst of real racial wars that saw people get seriously hurt because of being at the wrong place at the wrong time or attempting to go into the wrong section for eating, using a water fountain or even a bathroom.  I know that it is easy for any race or culture to believe that it is the super race or ultimate culture. The journey we all must purse is seeing that we are all here and have to choose to relate to one another and learn each other’s language and perceptions.

I know that the ongoing racial battles in my neighborhoods won’t cease until everyone chooses to come together and listen to each other’s story and discover that everyone is really alike. I agree with my new Hispanic friend that character and integrity are what truly matters? So how are we going to get people that are really, really different to come together? 

No comments:

Post a Comment