Friday, August 9, 2013

Take a break - the world will survive without you!


Is it possible in today’s stay connected high tech world to walk away for a day from everything? Just finished an article that in theory was touting Apple and Steve Jobs as birthing a new religious movement. The author initially cites some ancient Greek myth that gave the impression that writing and keeping records in the form of books diminished the mind’s ability to think, remember and be articulate. I confess that my wife at times truly believes that I couldn’t relax without my mac air or ipad mini at my side.

As we are driving to Flagstaff for the day to get away and disconnect I get a barrage of texts from a few that give the impression that their lives are coming to an end if I don’t respond. I tactfully tell the first individual that we are gone and talk on Monday. The other, a teen, is more persistent and I explain that I can’t help put power back onto his empower box from Flagstaff. We eventually arrive in the high country and for the next 6 hours enjoy an incredible view at the top of the San Francisco Peaks.

I have grown accustomed over the last couple of years to do stayvacations so we get an inexpensive room at one of the nice local resorts. I’m actually learning to unwind by swimming, napping and reading. I know that none of these activities are anything revolutionary but the reality is that the tether from the iPhone to my side is difficult to disconnect. So I’m starting to think the article that was touting any technological advancement would impact our religious or ontological understanding of life might have some merit!

As we are enjoying a panoramic view from the top of the San Francisco Peaks at 11,800 feet we are asked by a couple of teens to take their pics. After taking the pic on an older camera I ask the typical Dave question, ‘where are you gals from?’ The response began a conversation that lasted more than 30 minutes. I know back home I would have had another appointment that would have limited my ability to listen and ask questions. What Anne and I discovered was that both of these teens, which are Americans, had grown up overseas and were in a totally different world. They were more apt to talk about how they had grown up without T.V. or texting or even social media, as we know it. Yes, they seemed rather normal and capable to talk and interact.

I know that one of the key ingredients of being a person who can live their passions is knowing when it is time to get some rest and relaxation and not be on an Adeline high. I recently had a conversation with a close friend who had been living in South America doing mission work and was in the process of transitioning back to the States. We were talking about the need for down time and a way to allow our family to be more prepared to re-enter a different world. One of the key leaders that was helping with the transition for my friend had boasted about not needing a vacation and as my friend shared this I knew that something was off.

It is a rather humbling experience to come to the conclusion that the world will go on if I escape for a full day or God forbid a week. I’m discovering how taking reading breaks during the day has helped me be more fresh and capable of facing tough situations where there is lots of tension and no apparent solution to someone’s family meltdown. So I admit that the apparent religious paradox of the old marketing tool of the mac guy being the good guy and the pc guy being the evil one clearly is outdated. So take a break and at least put on hold the latest article on business management or leadership strategy. Life will go on and your mind might be more exercised with a good conversation that having you iPad glued to your face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment