Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Tribute to an Exceptional Mom!

I know it is easy at Mother’s Day, Christmas or birthdays to act as if your mom is truly the best in the world. I truly wish it were the case that all moms were equal but they are not! I’m around a few moms that unfortunately leave their kids behind. It’s sad but true and I’m blessed to have some special friends that have become like second moms to our kids and teens. I’m very fortunate to have had a mom that was truly exceptional in her way of loving me and teaching me about life.

I was at Hermoso Rec Center on Friday with a group of our kids just hanging out. One of the staff, which has become a great friend, showed me a video about a teen that died from cancer. This teen was incredible in the way that he faced his own death by choosing to live his life to the fullest while facing his own mortality. My friend who was showing me this clip didn’t realize that I was crying as watching. I have a mom who was just like that teen that faced death by choosing to live and not be selfish but taught me some rather critical life skills.

I was raised in a great home with a mom and dad who truly cared. My mom was one that taught us both by her actions and her little life lesson times. I was raised knowing that it was just as much my job to clean up messes, as it was my mom’s or if I had a sister. I was taught from an early age that any job worth doing was worth doing well. I couldn’t walk away from any situation and give up. Yet, as I live my life today there are too many that just quit and give up way too easily and settle for the ‘dregs’ of life.

I had a mom who gave herself to her kids 110%. She was the type of person that was always cheery, honest and quick to speak her mind. She taught me about the importance of developing friendships. We moved every three to four years so she was the master of packing, unpacking and making a new home seem like an old home. I have memories of being dragged around the neighborhood to be introduced to our new neighbors. I never lacked for friends because of my mom’s outgoing personality. Sure this bugged me at times! I can remember when I was a junior in high school and my mom was driving me to school and a friend ask me if my mom was my older sister. My mom wouldn’t let this one ever go as she repeated this for years to come that she looked so young and good that even my friends thought she was a teenager.

The biggest gift my mom gave me is a life lesson on how to face death. Yeah, this is a rather dreary topic to write about on Mother’s Day but because of my mom’s positive way of looking at life and her faith in Christ, she taught me that even though everyone dies not everyone lives. (Not her words but some Christian Band.) I will always remember the last 10 years of my mom’s life on earth. She was diagnosed with breast cancer, had surgery and instead of waiting to die lived a full life. I will cherish the memories of her figuring out different ways to cover her ‘bald head’ during her chemo treatment that lasted for years. She was always in the middle of my life, my kid’s lives and the lives of my brothers and their families.

I can remember going with her to chemo and watching her sit as they put the needle in her arm. She would sit for an hour or so while they put the poison into her body. My dad would take her to Denny’s once a week to just enjoy pancakes and some coffee. It was during her last year or so that her ability to comfort me was incredible. I was the one that should have been holding her and expressing my love for her, don’t get me wrong I did try. Yet, most of the time she was the one telling us she loved us, made sure that we didn’t have anything between us and then expressed rather clearly that one day she would be gone. My dad struggled with this and for a portion of time was in denial about the severity of her disease.

My mom and I share the same birthday, which is truly a gift. The odd thing about this was that she didn’t discover this until she applied for her Social Security. What’s weird is that her family celebrated her birthday the day after mine. As she filed for her Social Security and got a new birth certificate that showed her birthday as the same as mine. I mention this because the last time that we were all together was for my mom’s 78th birthday. My mom was in horrible condition and lived with constant pain. She didn’t complain much and was always more concerned that we knew that she loved us and would one day be with Jesus no longer suffering.

What made my mom exceptional was that she faced her own death in a positive way not pretending she was ok but being honest but not allowing her circumstances to stop us from being a family. I know that this impacted my kids and especially my niece and nephew who had been raised by grandma. Looking back I should have realized that my dad was also suffering with memory loss issues that made it almost impossible for him to face what was happening. I can’t fathom the heartache and sense of loss he experienced as he watches his best friend literally waste away over a few years.

I can’t finish on a down note so my memory of my mom that is truly special was when I received my Eagle Scout award at the age of 13. I got all of the credit for this special award but the truth of the matter was that it was all because of my mom’s involvement in my life that I was able to finish 21 merit badges in less than two years. She was the one that took me all over the place and taught me that hard work is nothing to fear and that in the end you get huge dividends. I will always remember the look on her face at the Eagle Scout Court when I was able to pin on her my Eagle Badge as way of saying thanks to a mom who was always there for me.


Mom, I miss you! I know that one day we will be back together again! Please know that I truly appreciate the love you shared and the life lessons you taught me. I have an exceptional mother who made life my life the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment