Friday, May 9, 2014

Discover your potential!

What makes the difference between someone that has an extreme passion for life and the person who fades into the background? What has to happen for a person to become excited about life and chooses to do something that ultimately makes a difference in society? How often can we fall on our faces before we either quit or make it? What has to happen for a person to go from having potential to making their life count?

I sat and listened to an older friend share his frustrations about his work situation. He had been able to do what he truly loved and was clearly successful at it and for some reason his circumstances had changed so much that he really believed he couldn’t any longer be himself. He was distressed and ready to walk away. I’m not sure whether he wanted me to tell him what to do or just listen. I decided to just listen and allow him to follow his passion.

I’m around many teens and young adults that have lots of potential but often choose to do nothing. I get frustrated when I see someone that could make it on their own become totally dependent upon governmental assistance or act as if I have some moral obligation to provide for them. I had a text from someone who had gotten kicked out of their house because of their inability to control their ‘tongue’. This same person wasn’t willing to go back and make amends so I decided not to do anything to help. Another young adult who is in just as tough a situation decided to apply for a job and actually got it.

I can remember seeing the transformation in this individual’s face look incredible. They had a smile on their face and seemed to have more energy than before. I had a long conversation today with another young adult that was helping prep houses for a painting blitz tomorrow. They had also been through the ‘ringer’ and didn’t have much happening that would encourage them to do much of anything. Yet, a job opened up cleaning at night and this individual decided to go for it. All of a sudden this person was smiling and acted as if life was truly worth doing.

I know that it is so easy to make excuses and allow the God given potential that you have be wasted or never used. I totally get the fear side of life where you can become almost paralyzed because of circumstances that are seemingly impossible at the moment. I also know having been around many that have faced tragedy that tomorrow can be a better day. It might not turn out the way you expected but you can get a second, third and fourth opportunity to use that God given potential in such a way that your life is better and the life of those around you are impacted. Yes, it is always amazing how one person’s success can become contagious to those around them.

I know that not everyone has the exact same opportunities in life. I also know that we can take something that isn’t a big deal and turn it into a game stopper if we aren’t interested in looking beyond our present circumstances to see a different future. So what has to happen for you or me to discover the potential that is there and do something that counts with our lives? I believe it comes back to whether we have discovered our passion in life. It also has lots to do with whom we allow to be around us. All it takes is a friend who is inspiring to push us to do something we seriously didn’t think was possible. Just as it is sad to see the wrong group push someone to fall into the dark side of life and make poor choices.


Real question is whether you want to discover your passion and live your life to your potential and beyond? Are you willing to live according to the status quo around you? Are you willing to risk failing in order to discover what you are meant to do with your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment