Tuesday, May 13, 2014

No Little People!

I just finished getting some paint for our next project this coming Saturday from my local paint supply store. The owners have become good friends over the last 5 plus years. I know that my paint supply friends struggle at times with their business because of the economy going up and down. We were talking about the circumstances with living in an under resourced community. There are many that didn’t finish school, don’t have a great work ethic or any example of many around them that have modeled that hard work does pay off in the end. The reality for many is that we at times feel like we are little people in contrast to those who have gone to college, gotten great jobs and are living what appears to be the American Dream.

I know that one of my favorite stories out of the Bible is about a giant and the little guy who wins out. It is fascinating that David wasn’t even viewed as a suitable choice to face Goliath by his dad or his brothers. It was assumed that he belonged in the fields with the families’ herd of sheep. David it turns out was one of the few who were willing to stand up against the massive giant who was badmouthing their God. David might have been small in statue but massive in his courage level and unwillingness to be afraid of any obstacle.

It has been a privilege over the last 8 years to be an advocate for what might seem to be little people. These are my kids or teens that have been born into difficult situations where they have disadvantages from day one. My hope is that they can grow up like David and not allow the voices around them to hinder them from pursuing their dreams and taking on the evil around them. I was blessed to have an awesome mom and dad who gave me first hand life lessons that made it possible for me to pursue my dreams without much difficulty. I know that for many that grow up without a connected family that it isn’t easy to rise above the mess and chaos.

I know that I sometimes allow outward appearance of someone to intimidate me when it shouldn’t. The amazing point about the giant little guy story is that God’s ultimate statement is that he looks on the inside and not the outside of the person. We should be more interested in the character qualities and whether I’m a person of integrity than totally focused on being the giant, looking like a gangbanger, acting like a nerd or whatever is viewed as being popular for the moment.

So what helps a person be able to not allow the circumstances around them to control their view of themselves and their future? I know that too often the voices around us hinder us from rising above the status quo. Too often we hear you are too small, not old enough or not smart enough. Sadly, we end up listening to these voices that hinder us from becoming the person God intended us to become. I again was blessed to have a mom and dad who never told to me no when it came to my dreams and aspirations.

The challenge is that too often people will go out of their way to make those around them feel like little people because they don’t fit their box or paradigm. I know that the giant on the day of his death truly believed that David was a joke and would soon be dead regardless of his faith in his God. Yet, the reality was that David was the one who took what was in his hand, his natural gift and slayed the invincible giant who had struck fear in the entire Israelite army.


So I truly believe that you don’t have to be a little person regardless of your size. I have been married to a giant of a person for over 40 years who is almost five feet tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment