Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Mortality - Face it or?

Yesterday I visited a 90 year-old grandpa type whose house we had painted five years ago. I remember Mr. Willis because his wife was in the same rehab center as my dad after his last episode of some type of pneumonia or something. My dad slowly recovered over a few weeks and returned to his memory loss facility. Unfortunately, Mrs. Willis didn’t recover and Mr. Willis’ life has never been the same. I drive around my neighborhood frequently so I’ve seen him a few times over the last couple of years. So I know he was surprised when I knocked on his door and shared the fact that we were going to paint his house again. As his puppy sniffed and licked me I sensed that this was a good thing to reconnect with this grandpa!

As I was driving around yesterday listening to Public Radio there was a program that talked about mortality and the medical profession. The point of the show was that there is such a gap between what matters most when we age in the context of how we are treated by doctors when we face extreme illnesses. The doctor that was interviewed had watched his mom and dad die from cancer. His journey with his dad especially helped him understand that treatment isn’t always what is best for the individual. His dad, who was a doctor, eventually said for them to stop the chemo and allow him to live at peace in his own home with his family around him.

The show talked a lot about Hospice and how hospitals are starting to do a lot more with palliative care. The point of this blog is that as I celebrate my mom and dad’s lives as I approach my dad’s one-year anniversary of his passing and the seventh-year after my mom’s that life is different for me. I’m learning that it’s time to live life to the max and not always be trying to live for someone else and get away from being a people pleaser. As I have faced cancer in my life and my wife’s life I know that no one is exempt from tragedy and that it has nothing to do with whether you are moral, immoral or amoral!

Just got off the phone with one of my favorite grandmas, Mrs. Jefferson. She has been the inspiration for my life over the last 6 years. I have watched her go through an unfortunate stroke that left her partially paralyzed. Yet, over the years she has slowly improved and regained her ability to talk clearly and is now able to get around with only the help of a cane. She’s still very capable of driving back and forth to church and do her own shopping. She has always been a great encourager and voice of reason for me!

The fact is that we live in a death denying culture that we are afraid to have a DNR, a will or an emergency packet if something were to happen to us. Yes life is viewed from birth to the grave as the essence of being. I appreciate so many things much more as I have aged then when I was a 20 something. Having adult kids helps me see that life is truly a gift that reflects the cycle of life that we see around us all of the time. We have always had pets that ranged from cats, dogs, fish and our parrots. The reality is that our main dog, Graham, is getting old and at 12 is like the grandpa I visited this week. He is such a part of our lives that it will be tough to say good-bye. We have walked or jogged literally hundreds of miles over the years.
I will attend a funeral of a close older friend on Saturday. Her death was a total shock for all who knew her. She was a close friend of my parents over the years. Her accidental fall that caused her death seemed to be senseless and tragic. Yet, as a large group of friends of all ages reflect on her life it will be evident that she was someone who showed her love for us in both words and deeds. I will always remember her e-mails that would ask the tough questions about my dad after my dad’s passing.


Yes, death is part of life much as seeing little babies gives hope that tomorrow’s leaders will be more capable to impact and change the world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment