Thursday, December 4, 2014

Do you ever struggle with the meaning of your life?

Over the last few weeks the world has revolved around an unknown city, Ferguson, a renowned comedian and apparent spokesman for the family who is now in disrepute while most have long forgotten the suicide of an incredible person who made us laugh but struggled with his life. I too struggle at times with the meaning of my life. What’s really important? Is it my bank account? Is it how many views I get on a recent post or more importantly whether my family has loved me or I have shown them my love for them? It is oh so easy to let life pass us by while being consumed by lesser things, which don’t matter.

I received a text from a friend I hadn’t really been around much over the last year. I quickly replied and asked whether this person wanted to talk on the phone or meet in person. This was rather short sided on my part not to realize that this friend needed my ear and my heart. So we met and enjoyed a sandwich and I listened to someone pour out their heart about the real meaning of life. This friend was struggling with what really should matter and their apparent lack of a sense of purpose in their present life circumstances.

What my friend didn’t realize as we listened to each other that day that I too was in a ‘blah’ type of mood. I had a cold that made the many things on my plate seem to be very oppressive. I too needed encouragement and appreciation as everyone else does. The challenge for me is that I’m supposed to be the one with the answers and readiness to help those in need like my friend. Yet, I too was hurting because of my unwillingness to trust God with the details of my life. Too often I forget my past because of the weightiness of the present. The typical question of whether anyone really cares about me is ever before me. Why hasn’t one of my special friends gone out of their way to text, e-mail or call me? I don’t consider whether I’ve made the first step?

As I listened to my friend I shared the simple fact that life is both an amazing gift that is truly incredible but also very fragile and requires a label that says handle with care. I’ve become addicted to pulling quotes of amazing people off the Internet to share with others. I confess that I haven’t actually read anything by Mark Twain and would have a sense that he was someone that was shallow and not capable of intellectual spunk! Yet, as I reflect on a quote about kindness my heart craves for someone to be kind to me!

The language that everyone understands is when someone is kind to them for no apparent reason. According to Mr. Twain this type of kindness is what the deaf can hear and the blind can see. What I needed that morning was for a friend to remind me of my purpose in life and not allow myself to become obsessed with the ‘success god’. It is too easy to measure my life by statistics, which always come back to numbers that you contrast with another. As my parents told me there will always be someone who is worse off than you and others who can make you feel like a failure.

The gift of kindness is based upon an individual’s willingness to put their life on hold momentarily for another to show an act of kindness and interest for what makes them ‘tick’. That day I was able to encourage my friend who later posted how God used friends that day in their life to give them a reason to keep going and not stop or seriously consider hurting themselves. I can’t fathom the mindset that led Robin Williams to find a belt and hang himself? His struggle was hidden to most and those who understood his daily battle didn’t always know the power of depression and darkness.


My prayer, in the midst of all of the reverberations of injustice in the world, is that the little person or superstar that struggles with life could have someone show them kindness. I believe that it is this simple act of being nice for no real reason that will give a person the hope to try life one more day. God heard my personal prayer that day through a younger friend whose asking for help actually helped me!

No comments:

Post a Comment