Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Racial Crisis is at My Door and Yours!

What is the most useful asset a person has to bring to their life? Is it knowledge, a fist, savvy wit, a weapon or a heart full of love, ears open to listen and hands willing to help? I had a fascinating conversation with a couple of my college interns last night about how change happens in society. Clearly we are all reacting and hurting over the various incidents the last month where someone has been killed in a fashion that seems to show injustice. The response to these circumstances varies from social media blitzes, peaceful protests to the extreme of purposefully planned acts of violence and destruction. The goal of our discussion and this blog is to reflect on what truly brings about change in our lives, families, neighborhood and country.

I confess to being a child of the 60’s where I can remember watching from a distance various types of radical protests that ranged from sit ins around college campuses to the extreme of kidnapping someone famous or blowing up some government facility to get a point across. I read much from the works of Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Chavez and Marx and listened in a college context to the thoughts of both hopeful students and aging professors. Yet the clear message that I experienced was that change doesn’t happen on a personal level or societal level quickly. The means by which this happens isn’t clear. There isn’t any 1, 2, 3 step model that will transform my life or the world.

I truly believe that God through his Son Jesus Christ and his gospel, message of redemption and reconciliation, brings true hope to a broken world. The challenge is that not everyone will accept and affirm this message that many will celebrate soon. I know that fear too often stops most from expressing themselves in conflict where violence and harm might take place. So what steps does one take when there seems to be an injustice in our society? What path does one pursue to see the fighting between different racial groups stop? As I listened to one of my interns speak about the why of violent protest, she’s not affirming it but attempting to explain the frustration of never being heard. The result of being ignored by some is to rise up and get the attention of the world through destroying a police car, burning down a building or attacking someone in authority.

The media has brought to the forefront the need to address racial issues, police policy and practice and how to see justice for those that seem to have been treated unfairly. I’m excited to see some express themselves in a way that does bring out the issues and attempt to have open dialogue. The challenge is that the superstars in media, sports, celebs in the film and music industry don’t really represent the typical or average person. I read a post by a rather well known CEO who is African American who is frustrated by being questioned about his presence in a nice restaurant or whether he is attempting to shoplift at a high end store in the mall. Clearly he has the means to purchase anything his heart desires, yet the color of his skin brings judgment and a question of why are you here?

The obvious message from the last month or so is that we as a society are very far from being able to talk about race in a constructive fashion. I know that most of my ‘White’ friends don’t necessarily see what’s the big deal? It is so easy to compartmentalize the world until the race issue comes to your doorstep! This last week there was an unfortunate shooting of a young ‘Black’ dad by a ‘White’ Phoenix Police Officer. The issue is now on my doorstep. I’m so thankful that the mom of the individual killed was quick to shift this away from the race card but talk about poor training and bad judgment.

As I finished my conversation with my two amazing interns we sensed that the time is NOW to continue the dialogue! The real need is to send a message of hope so that the actions of a few don’t stop the average person from doing what is right on a moment-to-moment basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment