Monday, December 15, 2014

Life is Awesome! Why is the good missing from the headlines?

Isn’t it time that the good that happens each day be lifted above the media’s sensationalism? Yes there will be massive weather issues, ongoing tragedies with people that are on the edge and don’t forget the terrorists.  The challenge is that we are so easily drawn to being negative, down in the mouth and assume that gloom and doom is the forecast forever. What about the couples that are celebrating their 40th, 50th or 60th wedding anniversaries? The teens that graduate from high school and then the large masses that make it through college regardless of their debt level should be recognized and make the headlines on the evening news.

I’m around so many that choose to do good in a very normal daily fashion. You could say that it is their choice to see life as being awesome and not blah or boring. I tire of so many kids and teens that are so quick to say that their life is boring. Translated into normal vernacular is I don’t have the latest X-box or PS whatever. Life has to be more than the latest high tech device, job or newest car!

Yesterday, I took 5 little kids out shoe shopping. One of my little guys was wearing his older brother’s shoes that were a few sizes too big. I was able to take them for an early Christmas present because of a close friend who shared part of their resources and love with me. This wasn’t someone that was rich or famous but a mom whose husband had battled cancer the last couple of years. She is always looking for ways to bless those around her. I’m humbled to know her and have her as a close friend!

My mom always reminded me to count my blessings everyday instead of fixating on what I didn’t have. My dad would always say, ‘Have an attitude of gratitude!’ They are both now in heaven and have left a legacy that pushes me to be different. The opportunity for all of us is to choose to be different from the masses that fill the malls or make amazon.com go crazy and see that spending time with your family, a friend or someone left alone is the most amazing gift you can give!


Yes, there are just 10 days left before Christmas so be sure to finish your shopping but don’t forget to get something for that forgotten friend, neighbor or store clerk you see all of the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment