Monday, March 30, 2015

Equality doesn't equal justice!

I think most of us hear the phrase, ‘IT’S NOT FAIR!’ probably a dozen or more times a day.  The difficulty is that I was fortunate to have a great family setting that gave me advantages that I didn’t realize in life till I saw how others had lived without many or any resources. So what has to happen for more people that have been blessed to share their resources so others can experience the best life possible? (You don’t have to be a Bill Gates or Warren Buffet to make a difference!)

I believe that America is the land of opportunity! I have learned so much from many of my families that have next to nothing yet are very capable in raising their kids and teens to understand basic life lessons. It’s so easy to make excuses and say it’s not fair or just moan and groan all of the time and end up stalling your life. My hope is to see justice prevail where there has been inequality and injustice. It’s not fair that a child is born into a family where the dad is in prison and the mom is a druggie. It’s not fair that a drunk driver takes away a kid’s mom and dad!

One of the key life lessons I’m learning over the last decade is being an advocate for those that can’t stand up for themselves. I became my dad’s advocate as the ravages of Dementia had its’ impact on his ability to think and act clearly. He was in a rather expensive senior complex where his monthly fee was determined by his care level. I was taken back when the individual that assessed him had never visited him, talked to staff or me about what his care actually required. If I hadn’t been there my dad would have been overcharged $500 a month for care he didn’t need nor received.

I’m around so many kids and teens that come out of real poverty. This isn’t about income but about being raised in a context where you haven’t been taught the basics like respect, morals, social skills, learning habits and then to do something as simple as say thank you. I know that someone who has been read to as a baby will grow up becoming a life long reader and learner. I know that someone whose mom is a substance abuser will struggle in life with many things that the kid had nothing to do with.

The opportunity that is before us is to recognize what we have that we don’t need and be willing to intentionally share that with someone who has a real need. This picture so aptly displays how fairness, equality and true justice can be a world apart! I married someone who is actually rather short so she would be the one that would need not one box but two boxes to see the game. So I understand a little what it is like to help someone see the action.

Justice can only happen when I’m willing to take my eyes off of my situation and see the circumstances of those around me that need real help. The difficulty is that I can be preoccupied with what I believe to be important matters but totally miss those that are standing next to me because I can’t see them. I had a conversation with a good friend who truly didn’t believe that someone in Phoenix might actually go to bed at night hungry? Yes, there are people on the street that would love to get help and have a better life.  The difficulty is that it is so easy to be busy with doing good things around you and totally miss those that are struggling in life and need your friendship and a hand up not a hand out!



Time to share your box so someone else can see the game and get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment