Friday, March 6, 2015

Why the toxic language? WTF, MF, GD…… What’s the point?


So my real question is why is it the rage to use rude, crude and offensive language? What point does it make? Is it really going to prove that you’re a man, cool or the one with the power? I cringe when I’m in a professional setting and hear what appears to be very well dressed older lady.  She seems to be saying I want your attention and respect but then this unmentionable word comes flowing out of her mouth. Why? I walked away with this sense of what is happening to the world around me?

Why this lapse into what would appear rather juvenile musings? What has to happen for our language choices to value life through being positive and encouraging? Regardless of the crowds around us, the push of the media and the expression of today’s artist can’t anyone see that we are becoming imprisoned by this negative life destroying mindset? My mom was always quick to tell me over my formative years that what I put into my mind would ultimately come out of my mouth. She would warn me that being rude and crude never proved anything but that I would become a shallow and short-sided person.

I can remember back in my youth when I was a budding Eagle Scout candidate, at the age of thirteen, going on a camping trip.  I’m not sure what possessed me but a few of us while enjoying a mango big campfire let off with a round unmentionable words that brought the wrath of our Scout Master. I truly believed that he would have joined in with us and done some type of manhood initiation. The downside was that we all were in trouble and had to do the dirty work the next day in camp. The difficulty was that his discussion didn’t sink into our hearts or minds.

So why do we as a culture have such a propensity for trash talk? I’m always shocked, but shouldn’t be, to hear a coach be screaming out such foul language on the field. Does the coach really believe that this is going to transform the player into a superstar? The stereotype of your typical Drill Sargent at Boot Camp is someone who only knows around 5 words in their vocabulary. Does this truly prepare our young men and women for battle?

Isn’t it possible to become a positive person that sees the benefit of using words with real purpose and meaning that will lift a person up instead of tearing them down? When was the last time you heard a rap or hip-hop song that didn’t use gutter speak? I sat at the park last night watching a few of my teen guys play basketball. I had an earful as I listened to a young teen girl use nothing but MF or the F bomb. Then what would be considered a good older teen guy listened to the foulest music that screamed out all of the unmentionables? My heart broke as I realized if this is their main diet today in their mind what will they be like in 5, 10 and 20 years?

Time for a real revolution where we learn from the following passage from James in the Bible about language choice:
James 3:91-12

9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

No comments:

Post a Comment