Saturday, March 21, 2015

Whatever happened to common sense?

The following definition is from Merriam Webster for common sense: the ability to think and behave in a reasonable way and to make good decisions. It always amazes me or more so floors me when I see someone who I deeply respect post something on social media without thinking a whole lot. This last week this happened with a very well known evangelical preacher whose aging father has changed the outlook of how pastors should relate to a larger context of cultures, countries and different faiths and secular organizations.  The unfortunate fact is that this individual posted something that was way too simplistic and showed such a lack of wisdom and plan old common sense.

What happens when we ignore the wisdom of our parents, grandparents or respected seniors? We cause the ongoing misunderstanding of what it will take for racial reconciliation to be a reality in our country to go back a hundred years. I know that I have been castigated a few times for using slang expressions when blogging. My goal isn’t to please everyone but hopefully speak the truth and see more hearts and minds able to understand the ongoing struggles of race and class in our cities. The response to this individual in an open letter posted on Facebook caused me to read a book, ‘Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith’.

I will be the first to admit that one of the reasons for not having much common sense is based on the premise that ignorance protects me from being responsible for past history. The difficulty is that our future depends upon our willingness to study our past, learn from it and then do something that gives the potential for tomorrow to see racial harmony become more a part of our society. The sad fact is that it is way too easy to absolve myself from pursuing common sense with the assumption that I have no moral or spiritual obligation to take action on the injustices that are in front of my face. I can say this because I clearly didn’t cause the problem so why do I have to do anything about it.

I had lunch with one of my close friends who is 84 with a teen he has mentored over the last 7 years. This grandpa’s heart was to help this young lady figure out life. The difficulty as he put it is that today no one actually communicates or pays attention to anyone or anything.  He was quick to judge this upcoming generation that is too tied to iPhones or Androids that require their attention 24/7. Grandpa’s very simple common sense advise to my teen and me was to do something radical, communicate in person, eyeball to eyeball and actually listen and then talk.

I truly believe that it is possible for me to learn from my blunders when I don’t ask for advice from my more experienced friends, wife or in-laws. I’m learning that the second you push the enter key on your laptop the rest is history. So is it possible for this well-known individual to redeem himself for the right reasons? It isn’t to save face but to help all of us take the time with common sense to better understand each other’s life stories. I can’t assume I have all of the historical facts of what caused you to be in your present circumstance.  Much as I would hope that you wouldn’t judge me too quickly before hearing my life story.


I love this quote, ‘Common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in everyone’s garden.’ My question and hope is to discover the ‘seeds’ for common sense that I can plant in my life’s garden. I want to avoid not just embarrassment for myself but hurting others by my over simplistic approach to their lives which clearly I don’t know or understand. Big thanks to my Grandpa Art, who is like a second dad, for his influence in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment