Thursday, June 25, 2015

Little people matter!

We live in a fast paced culture where we expect everyone to grow up before it’s his or her time. It’s scary to see parents stressing about whether their 2 year old can recite the alphabet, read and is already potty trained. I always end up chuckling at some of my young kids in our non-profit that seem to be too smart for their own good. My hope is to help them grow up in a positive setting where they can have an awesome perspective on life and see that their future is bright! The sad reality is that for many growing up in single parent homes that they can be lost in the busyness of others making life happen.

What makes the difference between a teen that finishes high school and gets a job and a teen that ends up being in the detention center? Too often it comes back to someone making a consistent positive influence in the child’s life. It’s so easy to see too many latch key kids that are left at home because of a working parent or more often a parent that is more interested in clubs and hanging out with friends. It’s time that the larger community sees the awesome opportunity to make a difference!

My hope is to influence those that are capable of giving a few hours a week to invest their heart and mind in a little one so they can see that their life matters! I know that looking back at my youth I had an incredible scoutmaster who was influential in my journey to become an Eagle Scout at the age of 13 along with six other friends. I know that the kids in my life aren’t just faces but real people that have boundless energy, funny sayings, and emotional ups and downs.  They always respond to an adult’s attention in a positive fashion and ultimately give back just as much as I have given to them.

What’s the excuse made for not becoming a big brother or sister to an at risk youth? Sadly it’s usually the simple statement, ‘I don’t have time’ or ‘I don’t think I would be good at it.’ I have so many examples around me of college students and older adults who have made the effort and they would glowingly brag about the impact their kid(s) have made in their lives.

So what will secure the future of our country but by our choice to truly invest in the youth that will make tomorrow happen? Time to stop making excuses whether it’s about your time or not having resources. You will discover that just hanging out; listening to crazy stories or going mall walking will make a big difference. So become an ear to a little one and see how your life can be changed forever!

Yes, little people matter and will become the adult of the future who might be the one that chooses to visit you at a senior center or a nursing home!



No comments:

Post a Comment