Sunday, June 21, 2015

White is the new Black or is it Black is the new White?

I’m taken back by some of my African American friends who are always arguing about how light skinned they are when in reality they are all ‘Black’ really dark ‘Black’. Yet, why is it the case that Rachel Dolezal gets in trouble for wanting to be ‘Black’ and be part of the local NCAAP group in her home town? She clearly fits better in this African American culture then her parent’s. My wife grew up in Pakistan in the 50’s and because her Iha, who was like a live in Nani, was dark skinned she was banned from her family and considered less than human. Why is there this continued racial confusion happening in our society? Does it really matter as to what the color my skin happens to be and whether I’m a light skinned ‘Black’ or a dark skinned ‘White’?

I grew up in what I call the ‘Heinz 57’ culture where I have a little bit of everything inside of me. Is it inappropriate for me to have an interest in the Hispanic or African American culture that surrounds me in my diverse neighborhood? What happens when I purposefully make friends that are of a totally different racial and cultural background than I grew up around? Is it a grave sin if I connect better with my diverse neighborhood than my ‘Anglo’ friends that look like me but don’t necessarily understand my passion to help the at risk youth in my community?

I have a couple of college interns that are both African American and Bi-Racial that help me better understand life in today’s diverse society. I laughed when a few of my interns see me as being the Black/Brown/White Pastor that works in the hood or barrio! Yet, my wife has a friend from her residency program as a chaplain that was offended by our working outside of our racial group. My challenge to this individual was where was he/she or their group when my kids or teens especially needed male role models?

I’m humbled and amazed at the response of the families that had loved ones murdered in the Historic AME Church in Charleston. What I heard coming from these emotionally distraught family and friends had nothing to do with the color of their skin but with their character and heart! I have no idea what it would be like to loose one of my adult kids or youth from our nonprofit and be able to forgive the individual who committed this heinous crime. I wept along with thousands as the news of this tragedy, brutal murders reverberated across the world.  The phrase that stood out was for God to have mercy on this individual who committed this hideous crime.

Maybe it is time that my ‘White’ friends get to understand what it would be like to be ‘Black’. (Especially after the NBA ‘Black’ superstars dominated playoffs with players like James or Curry!) I would also encourage my ‘Black’ friends to understand what it would be like to be ‘White’.  As long as I’m so quick to judge someone by the shade of his or her skin pigment then I’m truly a lesser person.  I’m ashamed as I posted early that it has taken so long for many churches, mine included, to recognize their sin of indifference that truly is racism and now are finally starting to address it!

The opportunity is for everyone to step back and see the good in all cultural and racial groups and stop making the grave error that because I’m ‘White’ or ‘Black’ I’m better than someone else.  I have learned more in the last decade about real life from a group of ‘Black’ and ‘Brown’ kids and teens then from my college and graduate degrees.

So maybe the new ‘White’ should be ‘Black’ and the new ‘Black’ should be ‘White’!


No comments:

Post a Comment