Thursday, June 11, 2015

Live Grudge Free?

Have you ever noticed that the grudge you are holding against a distant relative, neighbor or old classmate isn’t doing you much good? It’s amazing how easily bitterness takes root and you have this uneasy feeling on the inside that you can’t shake. I know that I will never get along with everyone I’m around and that everyone I’m around won’t necessarily like me. So how do you live in a world that isn’t perfect with imperfect people that might not care about you?

The challenge is that it’s so easy to let the little things grab a hold of you to such an extent that you can’t sleep at night or truly believe that you have to get back at the person that snub you.  I have been amazed to attend funerals of my grandmas only to see that the feud between the Hatfield’s and McCoy’s continue to live in all families. I had the privilege of doing both of my grandma’s funerals. It was clear at one that there was a huge battle still waging after decades. What was tragic was that no one really remembered what caused the spat but they sure weren’t going to let it go.  I was only 32 at the time and had no recollection as to why someone would carry a grudge to the grave?

So is it really that important to get even, retaliate or hurt someone that has done something to you or a family member? I’m around teens and adults that will literally go to the utter ends of the earth to hurt someone that has hurt them. I know that I can be an idealist hoping that someone will take the higher ground.  Isn’t it possible to choose to stop the feud by not returning violence for violence or a harsh put down remark. What would happen if someone just let go of the inner bitterness and instead decided to attempt a peace treaty that only required their signature?

Isn’t it time to stop allowing someone to control you from a distance? How is it possible that you have allowed someone to live inside your mind to such an extent that you have issues with stress and not being able to sleep at night without tossing and turning? I’m learning that forgiveness doesn’t mean fixing the battle between two people but deciding to no longer allow someone to control me by letting go of the situation.  Yes, it’s possible to have a one-person peace treaty! I can choose to no longer allow that person to live in my head ‘rent-free’!


It’s your decision to live grudge free or to be a bitter person who is always trying to get even. I know I’m going to pursue a grudge free life!

No comments:

Post a Comment