Tuesday, August 11, 2015

#alllivesmatter!


I will be the first to stand up against police brutality regardless of the color of anyone’s skin that is involved in such a situation. Much as the world needs to address the correlation between the low morals of today’s youth and their choice to play a game of whether they will get caught for their criminal activity? I know that the following #’s, #blacklivesmatter, #Ferguson, #mikebrown, # have been used by millions. So is this really just about police brutality or the disintegration of the family in America?

I totally understand the fascination with stepping over the line as a youth who wants to see how far you can go before you get caught and there are consequences. The challenge today is that disrespect of authority figures, property or most importantly lives have become normalized. The exception today would be seeing someone choose to say thank you, help out or do something without being told. Sadly the entitlement mentality has come to the forefront with the absence of fathers being involved with their sons. This crisis of fatherlessness transcends socio-economics and race. 

I was raised in a culture where my dad demanded respect from me but in a context that didn’t involve being hit, sworn at or demeaned. It was through the positive, godly example of my dad that I understood the importance of showing respect to all life and my commitment to do my best and not expect someone else to do my work for me. Yet, the peaceful protest in Ferguson saw yet again someone take the liberty to shoot into a patrol car with officers inside. The response mostly like won’t be about the lives of the officers that were endangered but the man that got shot for attempting to kill these men.

Shouldn’t everyone be crying out that all lives matter? It should be #whiteblackbrownyellowredlivesmatter. I know that in the neighborhood I live too many of the fathers are absent because they are in prison or purposely choose to be dead beat dads and just disappeared. The opportunity for the majority is to show in tangible ways that violence is best overcome through acts of mercy and compassion. The use of deadly force only means that more people will get killed. The real opportunity, especially for dads, brothers, uncles and grandpas, are to impact the lives of the young men in their families and neighborhoods to help them see that all lives matter!


I can’t fathom what it would be like to have my son be killed in any situation. So yes my heart goes out to Mr. Brown and Mr. Taylor. My prayer is that they can be a positive influence for their son’s peers to see that there is a better way to live that doesn’t involve breaking the law. The next # should be #iwanttohelp!

No comments:

Post a Comment