Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Be a daydreamer! Make your dreams come true.

One of the more awesome aspects of getting old is to see those you love experience their dreams in the present tense. What’s sad is that many grow up in today’s broken and fractured world never having dreamed about what they would like to do with their life. I can’t fathom being raised in a family where I’m not challenged everyday to think about something to pursue that is beyond my abilities.
Today I had the excitement of seeing one of my older teens get his first job. Little does he know that this has started the beginning of his dream to be independent, have his own place and do something amazing with his life! You have to understand that my friend’s mom died when he was five years old and he was raised by a great granny that could only complain and screech at him.
I also just finished listening to another older teen that has been blessed to have awesome parents that have empowered him to be a dreamer! Literally he received his dream act papers two years ago and this has empowered him to become a visionary budding entrepreneur. He chose to switch high schools his senior year to attend a charter school that gave him the opportunity to get college credits. He has worked nonstop since he received his temporary social and work permit. His dream, which is unfolding, is to have his own auto mechanic business.
I was raised in a family where my father came out of brokenness and real hardship, yet his dream to fly in the sky and protect his country became a reality. My dad, different from my dreamer teen, was rather quiet about his dreams but rather lived them. I watched, as a young kid growing up, my father literally fly around the world in his B-52 protecting his family and the country he loved. This inspired me to be someone who didn’t settle for someone else’s dreams and as my wife continues to pound into me to pursue God’s best for my life and not settle for second best.
Another amazing story is how one of my college interns is birthing a clothing line. This start up business ultimately will help in our shared vision of seeing kids and teens that come out of spiritual, emotional and financial poverty be given an opportunity to dream and see their lives make a difference. Initially I joked with my young friend but now have to take him serious as his dream is unfolding as a real T-shirt is being designed with a purpose behind it that will impact a teen in trouble and a teen or adult will have their eyes open to the needs of those that live on the other side of the tracks.
Why settle for a life that doesn’t go anywhere or do anything that really matters? Do you want to be defined by the consumer driven society around you? Time to be a daydreamer that takes actual steps to see something in the future that you will bring into existence today!

No comments:

Post a Comment