Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Find a common cause! (Better than coexisting!)

So how do we rise above our pluralistic societal differences finding ways that go beyond coexisting and putting up with each other? Is it possible to find common causes that unite us and empower us to work together for the betterment of some if not all people? Why is it the case that too often my personal views on life tend to divide me from others? I always end up asking the questions that separate me from the person next to me instead of finding common ground? Why is it possible to ignite people’s passion and furry over horses on an open range or the puppy mill and not another human being who looks just like me but has divergent views on issues I believe to be of the upmost importance?

The Bible talks about the fact that God wants us to do more than just coexist or put up with each other. I find it rather fascinating that Jesus bemoans his disciples’ unwillingness to love those that would have been perceived as their enemies. So his point, that is so important to hear, is what good is it to love and help those that are like you for even the ‘pagans’ do this! It’s time to step up and purposely choose to not only be nice but also actually do something good to that person that you view as being lesser than you!

Today I met with a couple of younger guys who I hadn’t met before that are desirous of learning more about doing nonprofit work in tough neighborhoods with kids, teens and adults living on the edge. I arrive a little early at a Starbucks and choose to sit outside. Just as I’m seated and start to check e-mails a homeless gentleman approaches and wants a handout. I had gotten a blueberry muffin so I decided to give it to him. I attempt to engage him in a conversation only to discover that he isn’t all there but still needs some food and something to drink.  He has clearly been living on the street and hasn’t bathed or changed clothes in months. Yet, I don’t react to his appearance and he says a muffled thank you and sits a table over as my new friends sit to discuss at risk work.

I know that it’s easy to say that everyone should value all life whether that is of a homeless man, who might be a veteran that serviced in the military or the senior who is no longer as capable to help him or herself and would never ask for help. So how do we change the culture of our society? Doesn’t it happen one step at a time where each of us take baby steps to do something intentional today that makes tomorrow different and better? Over the last year I have intentionally chosen to visit and befriend a group of grandmas that are mostly widowers. My goal is to connect my kids and teens in our program so they can see that seniors are worthy of their time and attention.

I can remember during one of my first painting projects, we paint houses of low-income seniors for free; I had a contractor volunteer to help. I know that he must have initially laughed at our setup. So instead of screaming at me or making fun he made some great suggestions that I followed. The end result was a better-run organization and the added benefit of my new friend donating his left over paint that has amount to over $30K worth of assistance. So it is amazing what can happen when you choose to step outside of your comfort zone and take a risk!

My mom was the friend maker genius who impacted my life as I grew up moving every few years because of my dad’s military career. I will always remember the routine every time we would be transferred to a new Air Force Base. She would knock on the doors of our neighbors and introduce us. I made friends, regardless of whether I wanted and looking back my life was truly enriched from her choice to reach back. She was always someone that helped the younger moms whose husbands were gone regardless of whether their husbands were officers or airmen.

So it’s time to purposely go out of your way to make a different type of friend, volunteer doing something you love and pay it forward by shocking someone that doesn’t expect you to care. I know I want to do more than coexist in my life and want to genuinely be part of common cause situations that draw a diverse group of people of all ages and ethnic backgrounds together.

Find a common cause in your neighborhood where you can both feed into another person’s life and also receive a blessing from a new friend! Yes, it’s dangerous but ultimately the only way to live!



No comments:

Post a Comment