Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Connections

It is amazing how I continue to meet people that are exactly what I need at the moment. I am starting to connect with the right individuals to help go to the next step of New City and Barrio. I have been around a blended family that has 5 kids. They are all involved with what we do. I have watched the step dad at a distance and came to the conclusion that he is an awesome guy. So I got brave and asked him what he was doing. I liked what he said and asked him if he was opening to getting together. He was, we did and now he is a new friend who will help me better understand lots of different questions I have to better understand the African American Community in our neighborhoods. He is someone who is able to juggle work, school and a family.

I have also deeply desired a way for Anne to get more involved with adults. God has now brought along a new friend, Emma, who is a Latina. She is divorced has grown kids and grandkids. She understands some of the dynamic of living between first and second generation, is bi-lingual and sees the church as being bigger than being Catholics or Pentecostals but Christ followers. She is someone who has worked her whole life and succeeded regardless of her circumstances. What’s also great is that she is a neighbor of one of my painting grandmas, Ramona, who isn’t doing very well health wise.

My greater excitement is hooking up with Pablo who is a resident of South Ranch and a pastor of a small church that is Spanish speaking only. He has come to a few of our picnic parties at South Ranch. He is very open and interested in partnering to help his group breaks out of their ‘shell’ and help me have more presence in the first generation community.

As the year closes and we start a new year it is exciting to see many things come to a climax where great things are starting to happen that will enable us to be more effective to impact the community and see lives and families turned around. I still recognize and always will that the great connection is God sending his son as the babe in the manger. The infinite almighty God chooses to leave his heavenly throne and come to earth as the God-Man. He is the one who makes it possible for different people groups to make real connections and work together to show that God’s ultimate heart is for all people to find their ‘oneness’ not in their race, socio-economic setting but in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment