Thursday, December 23, 2010

New Friends

One of my desires since moving to South Phoenix has been to have a Hispanic Pastor and African American Pastor partner with me in doing our mercy work in our neighborhoods. I have many friends young and old who are part of these communities. Yet, up until recently I didn’t have a real friend that I could actual work with, learn from and see God’s hand in the larger context of building relationships in our community. I was thrilled to meet Pablo a couple of times over the last few months. We have done a few larger events at the South Ranch Habitat Community Park. It was during these events that Pablo attended and eventually I think got the courage to talk and share his heart.

Most churches in urban inner cities are small, under resourced and the pastors are bi-vocational. (They have to work outside their church to support their families) As I sat in the Starbucks in a local Safeway I was overjoyed to talk with Pablo. I could sense that he was a little discouraged with his work. He has a small group of 15-20 after 12 years of literally laying his life down. I was impressed that Pablo had immigrated, gotten his citizenship and actually gone to college and received his master’s certificate in theological studies.

We talked, sipped our coffee and sensed that we might be able to work together. I wanted to have a bi-lingual pastor to help and I knew that Pablo wanted youth to be around his older group to help them catch a vision to get outside their box, Pablo’s own words. I could tell that Pablo was both spiritually and emotionally tired. He didn’t have the energy or resources to do much besides church on a weekly basis. I know he most of thought I was crazy and on drugs to be able to maintain the pace of what we do at New City – Barrio.

Now I have a Sunday morning Hispanic Church to ‘invade’. I know that bringing many of my group will push these older Hispanics to the edge. Yet, how else am I going to being able to relate back to my Maria, Judy, Elvia and others? I am just as equally thrilled to have met Emma, Maria and Juanita, who now become my female Hispanic group that are bi-lingual that form the basis for Anne’s group!

As I set in my Starbucks it hits me how import relationships are to continue to grow New City – Barrio. I can’t stay hidden in my office or hide behind cultural diversity. I know the New Year will bring many surprises, blessings and challenges. I have to continue to step outside of my box and intersect the lives of people like Anthony, Pablo, Emma, Maria and even the wildchilds like Ashley, Red Girl and the Terrances.

No comments:

Post a Comment