Saturday, December 18, 2010

Friends

As I look back over the last year I am blessed – spoiled to see how many friends God has brought into my life. I know that as a pastor that often people will be part of your life and ministry for a season and it is always sad to see someone move, change churches, get less involved or drop out. This last week I had a couple of times where I ran into friends unannounced. I have sensed with this one new friend, John that we will do lots together and help each other significantly in the years to come. He is in the process of deciding to work for a non-profit that is doing work in Afghanistan. My wife grew up in Pakistan and her brother just left to work in Afghanistan.

As I think of the many people around me it is always sad to see so many who are friendless. I was fortunate to have had a mom that never gave me an option about making friends. I can remember the routine so well every time we would move. After about the third day she would take us door to door and introduce us and get to know the moms and their kids that lived on our block. I can think back to really not liking this at all. Yet, as I look at my present life setting it has made me a person that is quicker to talk to people and connect. Yeah, I still like being alone on times but I have to confess I love to be around people and bring people together to do great things.

What I am confounded by are a few friends that are really afraid of being around people. We have helped some single moms who obviously want help and do appreciate what we do for them and their kids. The difficulty is that they seem to hide and disappear when it comes to attending the various events we do. Why? I guess I am starting to see that some people are not into crowds, afraid of being ‘found out’ or there really is a ‘racial divide’. My hope in the coming year is to be better at going after people that are in the condition. I am making some new friends who I hope will give me the ability to break into the lives of these single moms or grandmas who are a little suspicious of making new friends.

I know that the basis of what I do in community revitalization is totally based upon building relationships. I know that we talk about networking but it just comes back to choosing to be friendly and always be about making new friends regardless of the circumstances. What I have always admired about Jesus was how great he was at walking, talking, watching and responding. How can I make new friends if I don’t go out to the market place to meet them? I have to be as zealous as the JW’s or Mormons but have a different approach. It is difficult to wait for people to respond and come to me after I have approached them. I think of a few people who I have recently met through our last painting blitz. I know that it will take a few months of door knocking and inviting before some of them respond.

The real blessing is that God has chosen to pursue me to be his friend. I don’t understand it because I am not a great friend. I am too busy at times to sit and just listen and too often I have my own agenda at the forefront of my relationship. I can always picture the image of Jesus being the shepherd who is out looking for the lost sheep. He hasn’t ignored the other 99 but understands the urgency of finding the one. I need to understand the mechanics of both looking for the 1 and caring for the 99 at the same time.

I know that I wouldn’t enjoy being stranded on a desert island by myself. Life is for sharing and experiencing the power of friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment