Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Why?

I have grown accustomed to doing presentations and doing Q & A in different settings. I understand that I will not always have an audience that understands or is thrilled with being around people that are different from them. So for a few sentences I want to reflect on why do I live in the hood, hang out with wild kids and bug a bunch of grandmas.

I am fortunate in that I have a job, career, vocation and calling that is something that I love! I truly have a heart for wild teens that don’t have much of a home life; little kids, who want to play, hang out, talk about crazy things and then there are my grandmas that I enjoy spoiling. So why is it the case that I enjoy being in such a diverse situation?

I know growing up as a kid I had an amazing home life. I have a mom and a dad who were always there for me. I knew that if anything ever happened to me my mom would be at my side in minutes. I had this assurance that my home would always be nice, neat with food or goodies for my friends and me. I knew that even when I did something totally crazy my mom would scold me but there would be redemption. My dad, who was away often when I was a teen, was very affirming and always there for me. He was slow to criticize and obviously didn’t want to damage my psyche so I can count on one hand how often I was spanked. (My wife would say this is what has messed me up)

As I have experienced God’s love, mercy and grace I don’t see any other way to live. My mom was always quick to be one to jump in and help anyone regardless of circumstances. As I experienced Christ as a teen, college student and adult I grew to understand the practical ramifications for gospel living really comes down to how I treat my neighbor. I was fortunate to work in a downtown church that took seriously the Biblical notion of loving those that are different, i.e. Hispanic teens; homeless that lived around the church or the odd types that are left out.

What I am learning is that every person, regardless of age, has something special to teach us because of his or her God given uniqueness. So as I drive around to visit in my neighborhood all of the time I enjoy just watching, listening and doing things with Art, the ‘white guy’ who looks like an old Stephen Stills, Mrs. Jefferson who speaks very slowly because of a stroke, Bookie one of my kids is quick to ask can we go to McDonalds or one my teens that wants to go to Starbucks or the mom that needs special help. I can’t ignore any of them. Yeah, this is a different life then my past circumstances of living in the suburbs and doing church primarily in a middle class white context.

Yes, I admit that I love being around excitement and drama of different people groups that reflect a vast array of cultural experiences. I enjoy all different types of food, music and ages of people. I admit that I am weird but Jesus obviously in one breath welcomed the kids that were viewed as not being important, stopped to listen to a desperate dad and then interrupted by an older woman in terrible health. I actually enjoy the interruptions and craziness. The ultimate goal is that the gospel would intersect the people and circumstances that I live in and around. I have been given a heart for those that usually are overlooked, forgotten or laughed at too often. There are too many parables or stories about Jesus that show his heart for the lost sheep, son/brother who would be left on the wayside.

I am thankful that God has loved me in spite of my crazy sinful choices! I am learning and growing in understanding that loving God is done through loving my neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment